Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why use a round mallet for chiselling?

Blog Entries
    Mostly my round mallets are used for carving or hitting my froe. Not the same mallet for the two different jobs. The froe mallets are a bit large for use at the bench. Maybe if a tree stump was being carved then the froe mallet might be used on bigger gouges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just remember Paul Sellers (and later The English Woodworker, Richard, forgot his name, who used to build and sell benches also followed suit) uses lately a Thorex hammer for most of his chiselling work, although he once said the flat wooden mallet was his favorite. I have never tried using such kind of hammer but I am sure you can do nice chisel work even with just a block of wood if you have good chisel skills. The only time I use a metal hammer in my wood work is when I nail things or when I dry-assemble/seat dovetails (you listen to the sound for clues).

Simon

Blog Entries
    This discussion can move in many directions. Even if metal headed hammers/sledges/mauls/axes/..... are excluded such tools certainly influence whether or not one might “need” what some may more narrowly define as a mallet. The Asian type chisels, with hoops, are typically designed to be struck with a metal headed genno. Dead blows with shot heads... Thor makes a variety of “mallets” which one can sustitute a wide variety of plastic, leather, metal heads, on the same “mallet”.

As construction materials change....What do we call a mallet made from a wood plastic blend? I just installed a sink that I think is some sort of plastic/rubber/ rock blend...

Wood is often blended with other materials now, our material of choice is undergoing changes that we will need to adapt to.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 05-29-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    I like the looks of your new mallet. With the shorter handle did that affect the balance of the hammer?
    Hi Al. Yes, I'd say it did. But since I was always "choking up" on the original handle I don't really mind it.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The round head of a carvers mallet does not push the chisel to one side or the other if the blow is not 100% square to the tool, unlike a flat head hammer or mallet.

The answer to your dilemma is another tool purchase One flat head & one domed head - and lots of brass bling!!

A Glen Drake tite-hammer:
    GlenDrakeMallet.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting thread.

As a hobbiest, I've never tried a round mallet....I will say that the Tite-Hammer #4 is my favorite for stonework in my dental office.

However, I really think the Japanese are onto something.
    If you get the chance, try a gennou with a custom handle.
    Check out Stan Covington's thread on making a handle for gennou.

Good lord fellows, three pages on mallets. Don’t you know there is a ruler trick thread going on right now?

Am I in before anybody mentioned Bluegrass?

Simple laminated hard maple mallet for me. Have tried rubber, and a hard plastic face. Feel like I get more done with less effort with the maple. Never tried one of the round ones.

Who could resist a Thor hammer? https://www.amazon.com/Thor-712R-Fac...ds=thor+hammer

I tend to use this or a different dead blow almost exclusively.

See, I told you ... a flat side is best ...

Somewhere in Malaysia ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    See, I told you ... a flat side is best ...

Somewhere in Malaysia ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Meanwhile, somewhere in Vietnam...

https://goo.gl/images/CajPcs

The jury is still out...

Simon

Somewhere I saw a video of Frank K. Demonstrating the use of a cabinet scraper on dovetails. I noticed that he picked up a flat scrap to hit the scraper with, not his pretty round mallet. Maybe he has a special scraper basher?
    Jim