Thread: Joining High Voltage Wire

Joining High Voltage Wire

Hello Everyone ... I tried a search for Joining 2 High Voltage Wires and nothing came up.... received a new EFR Tube and the High Voltage Wire is Sealed on the Tube and the other end is bare ....how would I make the connection on the bare wire end .... The New power supply came with sealed ends on the quick disconnects ?

Thank You for any and all help ... after 6 months of non use I'm anxious to get the machine running !

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

HT connector from China Brian, you can solder it but just make sure you don't leave any sharp bits sticking out, high voltage loves sharp bits...it turns them into jacobs ladders
    You did what !

Thanx Dave .... just another wait for them to ship to me .... I wish I had known before hand .... I would have ordered them when I ordered the Tube

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    Thanx Dave .... just another wait for them to ship to me .... I wish I had known before hand .... I would have ordered them when I ordered the Tube
    Brian
    Will the new wire make it all the way back to the power supply? If so there should be a way to connect it internally as plug the cut off wire into a stand off fitting. IF you were a car person you would know what I am talking about when replacing HV spark plug wires.

Or post a picture of what you have on those PS HV connections on the wire. Its possible that is what they already have as above,
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-27-2018 at 9:21 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hi Bill ... it's actually an EFR Power Supply and it has a sealed Connector on it .... that's why I was confused the Tubed didn't come with a Connector on it.

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

The other day I had to fix a 4" long line that accidentally engraved on the back of a black anodized operator panel, customer was fine with 'camouflaged' since it would be covered with electronic equipment, wires, etc... I darkened the line with Aloxide, which helped, but I was looking to fill the line (it was about .010" deep)

In the back room I found this "Fil-Stik"--
    filstik.jpg

- it's probably 50 years old, says on the other side "repair defects on wood, plastic" --

There's many others around here, for wood mostly, and some New Hermes filler stick, which is very soft, and the wood sticks while not so soft are much softer than this one-

Anyway, I ended up using a very low flame on my propane torch to melt this into the engraved line, you can see the end's burnt, and I noticed this stuff hardened up very quickly after it hit the metal, and it was very easy to build up into a big 'pile' if need be, would be very easy to build up 1/2" or bigger dia. wax ball to help with arc jumping? But the low melting point may be an issue-?

I'm sure this has been done before but along the same thinking, how about building up a big ball of 'insulation' using hot-melt glue?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Hi Kev ... appreciate your advice ..... but seeing as it's 40kv .... I went ahead and ordered new connectors .... just hate taking the chance for when ^*$%&$ happens.

Take Care

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

I have had orders shipped from Hong Kong to my door from the day it was ordered and until the DHL guy dropped off, 3 days, $25.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Time will tell .... we'll see how long it takes to get to Canada

Brian
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Obviously, it is best to do it the proper way but I have spliced mine successfully. I made sure to solder it cleanly then used lots of electrical tape to build up a thick layer of insulation, then covered it in silicone tubing. For that matter I ran the rest of the wire inside silicone tubing too since it was the original HV wire that had developed a short where it passed near the metal work.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408