Thread: Traded for a MIKIWAY MBS-250

Traded for a MIKIWAY MBS-250

Fellow had this saw on Craigslist and we ended up in a trade. It is a 5 hp. 3 ph. beast that weighs something over 400 lb. Problem is I don't have 3 ph. power.
    I know her are options but having never had to deal with it before, really never paid much attention. What are your thoughts on best way to go, performance, cost, etc ? More than likely will not keep the saw but would be good to have the info to pass on to a new owner. Here is link to a picture. http://mikiway.com.tw/www/p1.htm
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 05-26-2018 at 11:37 AM.

I would think that you could source a VFD to run the tool on single phase power with reasonable retention of power.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I installed a static converter for my milling machine and engine lathe long before VFD’s came into vogue. IIRC it was around $100. It’s not the best option but its been doing the job for ~ 25 years. The best option is a rotary converter. ($$)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Converted my TS to variable speed. Never going back! VFD is the way to go.

You’re options are Rotart Phase Converter, Variable Frequency Drive, or Static Phase Converter. I’d vote VFD as there’s no derating of Hp like a SPC. If the buyer or you don’t need 5hp, get a 3hp and it’ll run you $200 tops. Getting a vfd for 5hp can get expensive.

Huanyang 5hp vfds are cheap.

Heck a 10hp sigle phase in rated vfd (no derration) will only run you $255.