Thread: PM 719A 220V conversion

PM 719A 220V conversion

I just picked up a new-to-me Powermatic 719A mortiser. It was a smokin' deal, and came with a full set of unused Clico chisels and the rarer than hen's teeth honing tools for the same. Aside from a little dust from sitting around, it looks new. Cleaning is ongoing. I'd like to convert to 220V, and per the images in the manual and on the unit, it seems straightforward. I opened the switchbox, and indeed the leads are numbered and color coded and 1/3 are on one terminal on the switch, and 2/4 are on the other. Do these images mean I simply unbolt leads 2 and 3 from those terminals, tape together, and I'm done with that part? I have the new plug to go on the cord, that part is easy. Thanks for any advice. IMG_6278.jpgIMG_6279.jpg

Yup- but use something other than tape, maybe small wire nut?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Nice score. Is there a reason you want to run it at 240V? It's only 1HP - unless your 120V circuits are undersized and/or overloaded (ie - do you only have a single 120V circuit that also runs a bunch of lighting and other stuff you'll be using at the same time as the mortiser?), you won't see any benefit to switching to 240V.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Nice score. Is there a reason you want to run it at 240V? It's only 1HP - unless your 120V circuits are undersized and/or overloaded (ie - do you only have a single 120V circuit that also runs a bunch of lighting and other stuff you'll be using at the same time as the mortiser?), you won't see any benefit to switching to 240V.
    I agree with Dan.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have same Mortiser. On 110 it plowed through hickory. Think with sharp chisel. 110 or 220. No difference.

I’m excited to work with this machine. I have two Stickley projects on deck and this guy will make those through mortises much quicker to do. I’m thinking 220 just to keep my total amp draw down on the subpanel. I know the tool won’t run differently.

How man people work in your shop at the same time that you worry about the amp draw?

I mean, 11 FLA is like what a hairdryer uses. And, unlike a hairdryer, you'll rarely be running this at "full power". I wouldn't worry...