Thread: been away, now I'm back, here's my current project

been away, now I'm back, here's my current project

Hello All, It's been a long time since I was last on Sawmill Creek due to a new little family member, a major shop move, a major house move, and all that goes - with all of that...

anyway, I wanted to share my current project. I am making a series of 300 bowls in three sizes (16" diameter x 6" deep, 14" diameter x 4" deep, 10" diameter x 3" deep). The material is post oak and was provided to me by the customer. The wood was not in the best shape - but it has significant historical value so i have to use every scrap! Here are a few photos in reverse order from finished bowl to raw material. Thanks for taking a look.

Dix_bowl_1.jpg
    Dix_Detail_1.jpg
    Dix_Epoxy_1.jpg
    Dix_stack_1.jpg
    Dix_sawing_1.jpg
    Dix_flitches_1.jpg
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    252-916-8226

Top Shelf! Very "warm". Nicely done. Could you describe the "chattering?" process?

Wow, what an ambitious project!

I like the carving on the rim of the finished bowl.

I've never turned post oak but I understand it's similar to other white oak species. Is that your experience?

Looks like you have your work cut out for you. That is some rough looking lumber, but I love the finished product. Very nice indeed!!!!

Welcome back my friend.

Beautiful! What is your finish?
    tom

Good name, Mr Kent. Looks like a lot of artwork ahead of you.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

300 ?? To say it is an ambitious project is quite the understatement. The finished bowl pictured looks excellent to my eye. I also am interested in how you did the rim detail. I really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    Top Shelf! Very "warm". Nicely done. Could you describe the "chattering?" process?
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Wow, what an ambitious project!

I like the carving on the rim of the finished bowl.

I've never turned post oak but I understand it's similar to other white oak species. Is that your experience?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Beautiful! What is your finish?
    tom
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Good name, Mr Kent. Looks like a lot of artwork ahead of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    300 ?? To say it is an ambitious project is quite the understatement. The finished bowl pictured looks excellent to my eye. I also am interested in how you did the rim detail. I really like it.
    thanks all, I appreciate the feedback! and likewise to you Mr. Kent - such a fine name indeed sir!
    My uncle is a retired botanist and according to him post oak is a variety of white oak, so named because they were typically cut for fence posts (way back) and weren't therefore allowed to grow to significant size. This one in particular reached a breast diameter height of about 36"
    Scale is always difficult in photos, but the rim detail is hand carved, and each gouge mark is close to 1/4". I use the indexer on my lathe to hold it steady and advance it as a section is completed.
    For the finish I fume them with 22% ammonium hydroxide for 4 hours to accentuate the medulary rays. Then I ebonize the rim by hand applying iron acetate. Then I apply one coat of dark brown Danish oil followed by three coats of briwax.
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226

Fine work indeed. I hope to visit your new shop soon since I live just down the road outside Winterville.
    All those blanks should keep you busy for a while.

Mike Wilkins,
    The NCFS Turners meet, 6/2 at 10:00 AM at Stuart's shop, a.k.a., the NC Furniture School.
    Come and take a turn with us. Dutch treat lunch at Bum's following.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Fine work indeed. I hope to visit your new shop soon since I live just down the road outside Winterville.
    All those blanks should keep you busy for a while.
    thanks. Come out and join us Saturday morning for the turning club meeting
    Stuart Kent
    252-916-8226