Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which bandsaw would you keep? Old PM or newer Jet?

which bandsaw would you keep? Old PM or newer Jet?

While looking for an 8 inch jointer on CL, I was fortunate enough to find both a PM model 60, which satisfied my jointer wants, and a PM model 141. Both were neglected and in need of much elbow grease, which fortunately I had in spades. I actually found that stripping the machines down to their bones and rebuilding was very enjoyable. Anyway, I already have a nice Jet 14 inch bandsaw, but I am thinking that the 141 is one of the better small bandsaws around. With new bearings all around, new tires, and cleaned up, it is basically a new saw. So, if you had a choice, which on would you keep? A Jet 14 made in the mid 2000's, which runs really nicely, or a 1978 model 141 with fresh innards? I am inclined to keep the PM, simply because I prefer older machines. Just curious what everyone else might think?
    Thanks
    Drew

I'm curious as to how this will play out.

I don't have an answer. I don't have a bandsaw but I would be happy have either of those choices. PM would probably get my vote on reputation alone.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I would keep the PM if resaw height is not in the mix – you can get more if you add a riser block to the Jet, no so, for the PM 141.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No favorites on my part, I am just curious of other people's opinions. The Jet I have does every thing I want, and I dont resaw anything wide. I just happened to fall into this 141 as an add on to the jointer I bought.

Open the top door on both saws. Spend 15 seconds looking at the tensioning area of the respective saws giving extra care to compare the springs on each, this exercise should make the decision extremely easy unless you need more than 6" of resaw height which in that case the decision should have already been made in favor of the Jet with a riser block.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Who's that guy?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Some guy that just returned from a bandsaw rehab program?

I’m partial to old arn, so the 141 gets my vote. If you really want to resaw you’ll want a bigger saw than a 14” with riser block anyway.

More importantly, Van is back??

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Some guy that just returned from a bandsaw rehab program?
    And wearing a disguise no less!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

silly question , you always keep the old iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Open the top door on both saws. Spend 15 seconds looking at the tensioning area of the respective saws giving extra care to compare the springs on each, this exercise should make the decision extremely easy unless you need more than 6" of resaw height which in that case the decision should have already been made in favor of the Jet with a riser block.
    Welcome back Van!
    Fred

P.S., OP: keep the old iron.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 05-26-2018 at 8:11 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Simple. Keep both. Set one up with a ¼ or ⅜ inch blade, the other with ¾. Now you have a resaw and a curve machine.

If I could squeeze a second bandsaw into the shop I would keep both loaded with different blades.
    If that is not possible as a permanent option then I would use both saws for a project and find out if I had a preference for either one.
    Per looking at google images the design of the blade tension mechanism is significantly different than what is on my Jet bandsaw circa 2006.
    I don't know which is better.
    Chances are the design or the materials in the trunnions is different too.
    I don't tend to get emotionally attached to my machines, but if I were to refurbish something like that I might change my mind.
    If you don't have much of a user preference then I would advertise both of them for sale and let the one go that puts the most money in your pocket.

I’m not in the “newer is better” nor am I in the “older is better” camps. List out all the types of cuts you may want a bandsaw to do, and then try them on both saws. Gather data, then decide.

John

good points, all. Thanks for the opinions. Ill probably keep the 141, if for nothing other than I prefer the older tools (1978 isn't really all that old compared to some), and also because everything is fresh on the inside and having taken the saw completely apart, I'm a little attached. Plus, it goes well with the 1979 Unisaw and 1982 PM Model 60 that I refurbed. Now I guess I start hunting for an older planer that needs some love to replace the old Ridgid lunchbox planer.
    Drew