Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which bandsaw would you keep? Old PM or newer Jet?

Do you have pictures of the refurbished saw ?

Blog Entries
    I have the riser block on my Jet and I would not do without it. The saw is crippled without it.

I like the saw and will not replace it.

I didnt repaint anything but the bottom plinth area due to some rust. I took both machines completely apart and cleaned everything and replaced all bearings. Also replaced the original switches with a magnetic switch. Should last the rest of my lifetime, I suppose.
    20180526_165649.jpg

Blog Entries
    My Jet Bandsaw is white. It is about 15 years old.

5. Those look real nice.
    athanks for sharing.

Put me in the 'keepem both' camp.

Of course I have four now, so I am prejudiced.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

What about selling both and buying an 18 inch bandsaw? I had a Rikon 14 and a Rikon 10 bandsaw which I liked. I then sold both and bought a Minmax 18 inch used bandsaw for the same money. I really like the Minmax better than the other 2 Rikon bandsaws plus it takes up less space than having 2 bandsaws. I do change blades more but I have gotten pretty good at it.

Both till you get a mm20. Then sell the jet.

I am with Mike,best idea in this thread yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Both till you get a mm20. Then sell the jet.
    While this is an excellent idea, I don't think that falls within my budget...

So now I am thinking of getting a riser block for the jet and just keeping them both. Bandsaws dont take up a lot of room. Will the Jet with a riser handle a 3/4 inch resaw blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Morton View Post
    While this is an excellent idea, I don't think that falls within my budget...

So now I am thinking of getting a riser block for the jet and just keeping them both. Bandsaws dont take up a lot of room. Will the Jet with a riser handle a 3/4 inch resaw blade?
    The Jet or any cast iron clone of the Delta saw is really beyond its capability trying to properly tension a 3/4" blade. The best option for those saws is one of the thin backer spring steel blades with impulse hardened teeth like the Woodslicer from Highland or the Kerfmaster from Spectrum Supply. They both offer 1/2" blade in .022" thickness and Spectrum has a 7/8" .016" version either of which is, IMO, the best option for this type of saw. cast clone saws can do a fine job resawing as long as you have the patience to work within the power of the saw and beam strength of the blade. The blades I mentioned will produce a pretty good finish off the saw as well.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    The Jet or any cast iron clone of the Delta saw is really beyond its capability trying to properly tension a 3/4" blade. The best option for those saws is one of the thin backer spring steel blades with impulse hardened teeth like the Woodslicer from Highland or the Kerfmaster from Spectrum Supply. They both offer 1/2" blade in .022" thickness and Spectrum has a 7/8" .016" version either of which is, IMO, the best option for this type of saw. cast clone saws can do a fine job resawing as long as you have the patience to work within the power of the saw and beam strength of the blade. The blades I mentioned will produce a pretty good finish off the saw as well.
    Good info, thanks!

Two years ago the tires failed on the bandsaw and I had to spend some money on it.
    I decided to try to make it be as good as it could be and installed urethane tires, a Kreg fence, and the least expensive roller bearing guides I could find.
    I ordered a Woodslicer for it too.
    With the saw being refreshed and me being impatient to use it, I bought a 1/2" Timberwolf from the local Woodcraft before the Woodslicer arrived and I was quite impressed with that blade, so much so that when the Woodslicer arrived it was put in the cabinet and has been there until yesterday.
    So, yesterday I was cleaning the bandsaw and checking alignments and since I already had the blade off I decided to put the Woodslicer on it.

HOLY GUACAMOLE BATMAN !!!

Color me an instant fanboy of the Woodslicer.
    I am serious, this blade resaws so much better than the Timberwolf it's just ridiculous (keep in mind I have been very pleased with the Timberwolf).

Lately there have been a couple of times 6" has not been enough height and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a new bandsaw or adding a riser to the Jet.
    The riser kit for $90 is certainly the less costly option but based off the way my saw kinda struggled sometimes when cutting 6" stock I just couldn't convince myself the riser was a good idea.
    The Woodslicer blade has changed my mind about that.
    My saw is the entry level 14" so it only has 1/2 or maybe 3/4 hp so I don't expect it to ever be able to cut 12" stock, but now I am confident it could resaw 8".
    Of course being squeaky cheap I have to get my money's worth out of the Woodslicer before making the jump to the 105" blades.

While I've seen both good and bad reviews of Timberwolf blades, the only beef I've seen about the Woodslicer/Kerfmaster blades is that they don't stay sharp as long.

My own experience with the Kerfmaster has been very good. As for longevity, it depends on what you're cutting. I used my first one for about a year, cutting mostly domestic hardwoods like walnut, oak and maple. Only after resawing some bubinga did it finally give up the ghost and start wandering.

I have heard the same thing about the Woodslicer not staying sharp.
    If that proves to be the case I don't know where else to turn to for a good blade for the mass market 14" bandsaws.