Thread: Chefware Kits

Chefware Kits

I searched for posts on Chefware. Looks like he makes decent products from the posts I have seen?

Anyone recommend his products - like sphere and threading jig?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have one of the original threading jigs. The newer models are nicer with better machining. It is not the quality of the BAxter threader from Bestwoodtools but then it costs about 1/3rd and it does the job. I did use the sphere turning jig when it first came out. Don't know if he has made later versions. It's does the job. Not as well as the Vermec but then again it costs a lot less.

As John said... I have both jigs and enjoy the functionality of them. I also have the latest version with capacity for doing Two Start Threads and Bayonette mounts on boxes. Craig is great to deal with. If you are in contact with him, say hi from me. You will enjoy having these and also the lower cost.

4. I’ve purchased from Chefware.....Craig is straight forward with integrity. Good quality in his products. I have his EZ Threader XL Pro, and also cheese knife kits.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC Lucas View Post
    I have one of the original threading jigs. The newer models are nicer with better machining. It is not the quality of the BAxter threader from Bestwoodtools but then it costs about 1/3rd and it does the job. I did use the sphere turning jig when it first came out. Don't know if he has made later versions. It's does the job. Not as well as the Vermec but then again it costs a lot less.
    I've been happy with the products I've bought from them.

One thing I wondered about when looking at their threading jig. I have the Baxter which locks into the slot in the ways. Is the Chefware difficult to align?

JKJ

No. I thought it would be or at least thought that it might give a tapered thread if I didn't get it aligned. You align it with the bed ways by sight and so far I haven't had any problems that I can trace back to that. Typically on boxes the threads are only 1/4" to 3/8" if that much. Misalignment won't change that. What I need to try sometime is purposely misalign it a pretty good ways and see if there is a difference.

Thanks for the information guys. I appreciate the responses.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I have recently acquired the XL Pro threading jig, with two spindles, 16TPI, & 10TPI. Very satisfied with the ease of use and accuracy possible. Have threaded boxes 3/4" inside diameter up to just over 5" inside diameter with great success, highly recommend the tool, it gets the job done.

Hi Peter, have you done many projects with the double start thread capability? Does the bayonet milling affect the grain alignment on a closed box? I would think it could be 180 degrees out fifty percent of the time. Or do you make the milling cuts different sizes so the bayonet can only fit in one position?

I bought the sphere jig and will add the threading jig later.

Bert, how did you get both spindles? What was the charge for both? Did you find them used or buy new?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    I bought the sphere jig and will add the threading jig later.

Bert, how did you get both spindles? What was the charge for both? Did you find them used or buy new?
    I bought the threading jig and added the second spindle, sure glad I did. Now I want to try some bayonet milling but the jig spindle cost is to rich for my budget.

Hi Bert,
    I have really only made one “two start” bayonet thread. It is really fun to make and always draws attention when I show it. I used some plain wood so the grain match is not really a problem, but it could be! Not sure if this is Maple or Cherry...
    The bayonet cut outs are the same size, set by the jig. The purpose is to be able to easily put the lid on like a lens on a SLR camera. It goes on in both slots 180 degrees apart. I must get back to making threaded boxes... Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images