Thread: Video for hollowing

Video for hollowing

I have spent some time combing through the forum after searching for video systems for hollowing. There are several posts but mostly a little dated so that any links I found for specific components were no longer active. My question is, has anyone put together a DIY system recently that could share the components you bought to build the system. I have already viewed the video by Alan Zenreich and it is very good but does not specify any components.

My current line of thinking is to buy a CCTV camera like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

What I am not clear about is what do I need for power supply and adapter to go to a 7 inch monitor. I think a 7 inch monitor will be big enough and can be easily attached to the head stock with some kind of magnetic mount.

Another question, did you need longer cables for connecting between the camera and the monitor?

I have a Jamieson style hollowing system with a home made modified arm for a laser which I have never been able to keep working reliably. Rather than mess with that any more, I would like to use a video system.

Any guidance you can offer is appreciated.

Hi Jenny. If you have a chance you might read my blog.
    https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...deo-hollowing/
    I personally thought that the 7" screen would be fine as well but it turned out to be too small for me.
    As you can see I have a very similar camera to the one you point at.
    The only issue I find now is that the camera slightly enlarges the turning and I have to be aware of this to prevent turning too thin.
    There is another thread here on SCW that might be of help as well it would be hard to find because it is labeled "Double ended caliber" I think.
    Best of luck and if I can be of further assistance please let me know.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I took a look at your blog Peter.
    I noticed that you have a Kobra hollowing system. Couple of questions, how did you get it and how do you like it?
    I got one from an estate. I had a monster rig and sold it as soon as I got this setup. I'm still experimenting with the Rolly Munro hollowing setup. Trying to migrate to a Munro/Hunter combo.
    Change One Thing

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    I took a look at your blog Peter.
    I noticed that you have a Kobra hollowing system. Couple of questions, how did you get it and how do you like it?
    I got one from an estate. I had a monster rig and sold it as soon as I got this setup. I'm still experimenting with the Rolly Munro hollowing setup. Trying to migrate to a Munro/Hunter combo.
    George, yes I do have and use a Kobra. Bought about 5 or 6 years ago after an 8 month wait. I love it and have all sorts of adaptors to let me use just about any tool that lines up on center. I don't have Rolly Monro but do use a Proforma which again I think I mentioned in another blog post. Getting a Kobra in an Estate sale is a real find!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Here is what I bought;
    Ansice--Color CCTV Case hidden Security Camera Lens 3.6mm,8mm,16mm 1200tvl with IR filter With Bonus Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LZN7RL6..._xtM0AbQJRET0C
    This gives you the camera and power supply.You get 50 feet of cable with the camera.
    BW 7 inch High Resolution 800*480 TFT Color LCD Car Rear View Camera Monitor Support Rotating The Screen and 2 AV Inputs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SLDF7O..._wxM0Ab4QWW6J1
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 04-14-2018 at 4:45 PM.

Thanks Dwight. Is the last item (LE Power Adapter) for the monitor? Did the RCA output from the camera go directly into the monitor or did you need any adapter for that? Finally, how are you liking the 7" monitor? Peter commented that he found it to be too small. I do a lot of other woodworking and different types of turning and it will not be a set up that I use frequently so smaller is better, as long as I can see it.

Sorry, I forgot about power to the monitor. You can use a splitter and the power source for the camera or you can buy this and run both camera and monitor. The 7” monitor works fine for me.

LE Power Adapter, Transformers, Power Supply For LED Strip, Output 12V DC, 3A Max, 36 Watt Max, UL Listed https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKSI0S8..._ZAM0AbQEXEAQY

I bought a $28 camera with power supply on eBay a few a 19” tv at Walmart for $88,a RCA video cable and apapter for $5.works great.702237A1-4BC4-428E-AED2-34D90AC1A482.jpg

The guy I got the Kobra from also had half a dozen (or more) other hollowing systems including a Clark. I bought the entire inventory. The oddest thing is that he didn't like the Kobra at all...
    I'm trying to decide who to will it to (that won't kill me to get it).
    Change One Thing

If you have an old laptop that you don't mind getting dusty, these cameras cost less than $15 and plug right into a laptop or smart phone.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-E...YAAOSw0QFXDSRM. Make sure you get one that has a focal distance of 4 cm to infinite. I like the bigger screen offered by the laptop.

I have the Hope hollowing system with a camera. My monitor is around 7" and I am satisfied 7' monitor. I have a magnetic base and set it on top of the headstock.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Wow. What a score. To get several systems in one go! The only issue I have with the Kobra is the need too have cutters on center. Some of my cutting heads are slightly off. I use everything from 3/16 dia cutters to 1". Yes it is overkill for the smaller hollow forms I make but sure is easy on my arm and back. I have recently made a Ellingsworth system that I use for smaller work when I am not playing with Dave's hollowing system. I am always nervous when using it cause a little catch can easily scare me.
    Pete

Looking for some more advice. I now have the monitor (7") and a camera with a power supply. The monitor does not come with a power supply. It also just has two bare wires for power connection. Can someone provide any guidance for getting from those bare wires to power? Do I need a pigtail to connect to power? I think I could also get a splitter, once I have a connection point and use the power from the camera for both the camera and monitor. I am having trouble finding what I need to purchase to make my final connections. Where is Radio Shack when you need it??