Thread: How thick should I make these benches?

How thick should I make these benches?

I will be making two benches to go with a dining table, one bench will be about 78" long, the other one will be about 66" long.

I'm thinking of making them 18" deep. They will be along one side and one end of the dining table, and each one will be against a wall.

Should I use 8/4 white oak for these, or will 6/4 be thick enough - ending up at ~ 1 1/4" final thickness.

I plan on supporting the 66" bench in two places - can I do the same with the 78" bench? Or will I need to support it in three places? Figure that at times there will be 3 to 4 adults on the 78" bench.

The home owner is undecided on whether or not she'll use any cushions at the seater's back. I have a feeling she will not. Is 18" a good depth?

Thanks for any opinions you can offer, Mark.

A sketch would be helpful. But you should easily be able to make it with 1-1/4" oak with 2 supports.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

6'6" is a bit long for two supports but it depends on the structure. Visit some local churches and test out the pews to get an idea about height and depth. Cheers

Andy - I plan on doing the drawings this weekend.
    Wayne - good idea on visiting a church.

Thanks guys.