Thread: Coreldraw combining words???

Coreldraw combining words???

I have a project were I have a big capital letter done in Varsity font. I have a small word that is to go in that letter. When I laser the big letter on some black stock, I want the capital letter to be lasered but not the small word so it will be black also. I have tried the letter and the word as artistic text and curves while trying to weld, trim, combine, subtract all to no avail. Each seems to combine them and I can see the nodes for the small word but is the same black as the capital letter that is to be lasered. Where am I going wrong?
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

If I correctly understand what you want to do--you must use white as the fill color on the small word so that it won't engrave.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I actually can't understand the question: how about just deleting the words you don't want 'lasered' ?
    By lasered, I assume you mean cut right through, as opposed to being engraved on the surface?
    A diagram might help...
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

Sounds a bit confusing but I think I might know what you're trying to do, which is what I do to small cutting boards for a customer:

this is what's needed, a large cap letter behind the name- "behind" is key here, I'll explain in a moment-
    this is a wireframe plus painted view- what I NEED is it to look like the painted version,
    but note the wireframe, the S "meshes" with the "SMITH". If engraved like this, the
    missing portion of the red will still engrave-- wrong!
    smith1.jpg

So, we need to TRIM the S from the SMITH. IMPORTANT- to do this with TEXT,
    it MUST be done from the "ARRANGE" menu, as shown--
    smith3.jpg
    --the options that show in the tool bar on top won't work with text, you'd have to
    change the text to curves first, not a big deal but the arrange-shaping-trim options just makes it easier

SO, since I want the S to be BEHIND the SMITH, I must make sure Corel puts it behind--
    couple of ways to do this, my way is to select the "S", then hit CTRL+ the "end" button,
    this puts the S to the back 'end' -- the other way is, select the S, then go to 'arrange' - 'order'- 'send to back'...
    Now check the wireframe after I've sent the S back and then trimmed it,
    the S and SMITH are now 'divorced'--
    smith4.jpg

now, should I want SMITH in back, instead of moving the S back, I move it to the FRONT-
    (the same can be done in reverse using SMITH obviously )
    so this would be the results--
    smith5.jpg

Here I've slid the S's away, top is SMITH in back,
    bottom is S in back-
    smith2.jpg

When I do these, I run the name first, then run the single letter at more power to make it deeper and darker...

hope this is what you're your aim is!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I can't figure out the question either. Is this what you are trying to do?

KevinClark.jpg
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    I can't figure out the question either. Is this what you are trying to do?

KevinClark.jpg
    Yes sir exactly
    40 Watt Epilog Helix

Roland EGX-20 Rotary Engraver

When I laser the big letter on some black stock, I want the capital letter to be lasered but not the small word so it will be black also.

if lasering black stock, then the big letter will be WHITE, yes? And the small word to be black, yes?

So like Mike's version, but the finished product like this..?
    b1.jpg

If yes: then type your big letter, then click the mouse to end the line;
    then type the smaller word, end the line, and resize as needed. Paint the small word a contrasting color,
    doesn't matter what color, you just need to be able to see it against the black (I used cyan)...
    should look like this in Corel-
    b2.jpg

Now, place the small word where you want in the blg letter.
    Because you typed the big letter first, it should be "to back",
    and the small word should be visible like this--
    b3.jpg
    (If it's not visible then just click on the big letter and 'send to back' in the arrange menu)

Ok, if all's good so far, box them both, then go to arrange/shaping/back minus front...
    b4.jpg

and you'll get this--
    b5.jpg
    --this is how it will look in Corel, and note that 'Bob' is now holes-- so when engraving black/white stock, the big letter will engrave to white, the small words wont engrave at all and will stay black, so it will look like the first pic

-- most other options I tried gave me Mikes results, back minus front returned the winner!

Last edited by Kev Williams; 05-25-2018 at 9:11 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well done with figuring that, but I'd like to also say Kev's comment "--the options that show in the tool bar on top won't work with text, you'd have to
    change the text to curves first, not a big deal but the arrange-shaping-trim options just makes it easier " is really appreciated.

I've always used the toolbar to subtract parts, combine or weld, and never realised the options in the Arrange>Weld>menu worked better or differently or gave more options with text that wasn't converted to curves.

Thanks, Kev!

P.S. I use the Ctrl or Shift key, with Page Up or Page Down keys, to move a selected object up or down in the layer.
    Best wishes,
    Ian

ULS M-300, 55w made 2002 with rotary. Goldenlaser 130 watt, 1300x700 made 2011.
    Flat bed 2500x1300 150/90watt 2 tube laser, 2018 model.
    Esab router, 1989, 4.5 x 2.0 m, conv. to Tekcel, and modded a 2nd time.
    HP L260-60". Roland PNC-1410. Mimaki GC-130 SU.
    Screenprinting carousel 6x4 and 7x4 ft 1-arm bandit vac table.
    Corel Draw X3, Illy, Indesign & Photoshop CS2 & CS5, Enroute 4
    Pencil, paper, paintbrush, airbrush & dagger-liners & assorted other stuff.

A quick rundown of what I did.... I added a .5 white outline around Bob. You don't need to convert the text to curves first. You can get more details with using contours, but it's time for movie night.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."