Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickley Bed

Stickley Bed

Recently finished this bed. Stole the basic design from the Stickley catalog with my own dimensions and personal touches.

IMG_0325.jpg IMG_0313.jpg IMG_0315.jpg IMG_0305.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really beautiful, Marty! Outstanding, even!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

nicely done Marty! Beautiful craftsmanship and you got some very nicely figured QSWO. What did you use for finish?

Really nice bed, marty. It looks very solid. ..Can't beat the figure on that oak. Tell about the panels. Is the inlay ebony ?

Thanks for the kind words. I stole the finish also, from Jeff Jewitt. Plus a few of my own preferences. For the bed I did this:

1) Sanded to 180, raised grain with water, and very lightly sanded with 320 just to knock down the fuzz. Remove all dust especially down in the pores and ridges.

2) HVLP sprayed "reddish brown" transtint. Then lightly sanded with 800. I think it removes some of the dye from the rays. Staying away from the edges is crucial. At this stage the wood is an ashy pink color. Faith is required. The next step changes everything.

3) Spray one coat Zinser seal coat. Lightly sand if needed.

4) Hand apply one coat GF gel stain, Brown Mahogany. Because of the seal coat the gel stain mainly gets down into the valleys and doesn't darken the wood too much. Let dry for a week.

5) Sprayed 5 light coats GF HP Poly (Flat). Sanding between coats with scotch pads.

On smaller projects I use the same basic schedule except I final coat with Arm-R-Seal. Love that stuff, but its hard to argue with spraying 5 coats of the waterborne in one day in the warmth of my shop. Sorry didn't mean to write a book.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Really nice bed, marty. It looks very solid. ..Can't beat the figure on that oak. Tell about the panels. Is the inlay ebony ?
    Yonak, Thanks!
    The panels are about 6mm MDF core ply. There was a post not long ago where we talked about it. It is very solid as you noted and very heavy. Yes on the ebony. Heres a pic of that ply I posted previously.

IMG_0320.jpg

Marty

This is a good looking bed. You did a fine job on the finish
    Aj

Very nice. I'm guessing the photo didn't do the QS rays justice in the headboard panels.

Blog Entries
    Great looking wood and a beautiful bed.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Very nice. I'm guessing the photo didn't do the QS rays justice in the headboard panels.
    Yes and no Joe. The headboard panels are much more subtle. Believe it or not I eked all four panels out of the same sheet (4x8) of plywood. I actually like to contrast the "exotic" grain with riff sawn or milder grain. Too much tiger stripe looks funky to me. The headboard looks better than the pic shows, but more mild than the footboard.

Thanks, Marty
    Last edited by marty fretheim; 05-25-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Elegant design well executed! Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    Yes and no Joe. The headboard panels are much more subtle. Believe it or not I eked all four panels out of the same sheet (4x8) of plywood. I actually like to contrast the "exotic" grain with riff sawn or milder grain. Too much tiger stripe looks funky to me. The headboard looks better than the pic shows, but more mild than the footboard.

Thanks, Marty
    With heavy figure already in the rails/stiles, having a more subdued field in the panels is a good design element. If everything is highly figured...it can be "really busy" visually. Again, this is a very nice piece of craftsmanship!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Great execution, great materials too. Nice work man.

Nice work Marty. I love anything Stickley related.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Great looking bed.
    Charlie Jones