Thread: Samsung Refrigerator question

Samsung Refrigerator question

We bought this 'bout 3 years ago and foolishly passed on the extended warranty. We did however get the Ice Maker replaced twice by being persistent and polite ... This was in the first 2 years.

Two weeks ago the Water dispenser and the Ice Maker quit at the same time, I watched a dozen YouTube videos and simply could not find a definitive answer to what failed. I did replace the filter the same day the event took place but that did not change anything.

So a couple of days ago I pulled out the new filter and left it without one, I tried the water and it works fine, the next morning we had ice again ... apparently some Refrigerators can operate without a filter and some can't ... mine seems fine, no leaking where the filter installs or any other related problems.

I'm stumped, any suggestions?

Tim

Now you have me scratching my head. We bought a Samsung about 4 years ago. We had a problem with the icemaker and reseating it cleared the problem. The serviceman said it was a high failure item and had a new one shipped to us. I haven't had to install it yet.

Is it possible to install the filter incorrectly? I change mine when the alarm tells me to which is about every 6 months.

Did you by any chance have the water shut off to the refrigerator to change the filter and not get it turned back on? Did you roll the refrigerator in/out and possibly kink a water line?

BTW...we have been tickled with our purchase of that Samsung refrigerator.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey Ken,

We've had plenty of issues with our Samsung fridge, the defrost drain hole freezes up and allows water to collect under the large center drawer ... I was all set to fix it myself (Youtube educated) when the Ice Maker died and we managed to get two problems fixed under warranty. I had purchased a small metal part from an appliance place that the repairman was unfamiliar with but confirmed that it would and did solve that problem.

To answer your questions, The filter is installed correctly .. not sure if it could be done wrong ... it would leak like a sieve I expect.

Water supply line is pressured up and in good shape.

Weird, I'll take a brand new filter and plug it in ... immediately there is no water at the dispenser or to the Ice maker. Remove the filter and the water flows again.

I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Now you have me scratching my head. We bought a Samsung about 4 years ago. We had a problem with the icemaker and reseating it cleared the problem. The serviceman said it was a high failure item and had a new one shipped to us. I haven't had to install it yet.

Is it possible to install the filter incorrectly? I change mine when the alarm tells me to which is about every 6 months.

Did you by any chance have the water shut off to the refrigerator to change the filter and not get it turned back on? Did you roll the refrigerator in/out and possibly kink a water line?

BTW...we have been tickled with our purchase of that Samsung refrigerator.

Tim,

I wonder if the "new" filter could be plugged? I can see where they might install a spring loaded valve as part of the filter mechanical connector that would pass water on or not pass it on should the filter be removed. The potential for liability law suits would be tremendous if with the filter removed water flow could be constantly coming out of the filter connector causing damage to one's house. I can also see where such a valve might divert the water into and out of the filter when the filter is installed. (That is a pretty healthy mechanical connection on that filter!)

Like you...I'm stumped!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't have a Samsung, but did buy a Frigidaire and have had the same issues over the last several years. Had the ice maker replaced 3 times under warranty and had the circuit boards replaced twice. The repairman went ahead and replaced all 4 circuit boards the last time just to make sure that wasn't causing all the problems. Fridge has been fine since then, but the ice makers died again, so I quit fooling with it and now just freeze our own ice. Replacement parts are a few hundred bucks with no guarantee that it won't break the next day.
    I complained to Frigidaire about all the problems so much that they gave me an extra year on my warranty at no charge. After that they wanted $169 a year for extended warranty. I kindly refused and told them I would never buy another. I replaced a 35 year old fridge with that one and it's still running fine and never gave any trouble.
    Along with the ice makers, the electronics fail regularly on these appliances. Live and learn.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Ice makers are the "traditional" trouble point for almost any brand of refrigerator...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Did yours come with a filter bypass plug? Basically a filter-shaped thing you put in place of the filter. We use that, since we have RO water going to the fridge. It's an LG, and I don't know if Samsung has the same. I have to say I'm *very* happy with this LG. The bearing/geared drawers, the ice reliability, how quiet it is, everything is really perfect. Home Depot offered a ten year service contract on it for $200, I jumped on that as a no-brainer for a $2200 refrigerator.

No bypass plug.

I would have been hard pressed to decline a $200 10 yr warranty, that is a no brainer.

Other than not having "filtered water" the fridge is working well ... we do use the hair dryer to defrost the ice maker compartment once every month or two.

Tim