Thread: How Are These Bits Different?

How Are These Bits Different?

I'm looking at two different Whiteside pattern bits and I'm wondering what the difference is between them, in use?

- Whiteside Router Bits UDFT5152 Flush Trim Spiral Bit with Up/Down 1/2-Inch Cutting Diameter and 1-1/2-Inch Cutting Length
    - Whiteside Ultimate Trim Bit - Combination

Thanks for the help.

I haven't used either of these, but, at first glance, the biggest difference I see is the cutting diameter (1/2" vs. 7/8")-- in general, a larger CD will yield a smoother cut surface.

Have you looked at them side by side on amazon? Differences: cutter diameter, cutter length, bottom bearing on one of them.

The UDFT5152 is 1/2" shank, 1/2" cutter diameter, 1 1/2" cutter length.

The Ultimate trim bit is 1/2" shank, 7/8" cutter diameter, 1 1/8" cutter length
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Guess I should have been more specific. Which bit will be more versatile? What cuts will one allow me to do that the other won't?

Compression spiral bits allow you to have down-cut action on the top of the material and up-cut action on the bottom of the material to reduce splintering and improve the quality of the cutting. This is particularly valuable with veneered plywood, but can be helpful with solid stock, too. These bearing guided versions are made to use with a hand-held or table mounted router. There are similar cutters that folks with CNC machines use that don't have the bearing, but need the benefit of a chip/splinter free edge on the material they are working.

The "ultimate" versions appear to be beefier...more like a small version of a shaper cutter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Derek,

They both obviously are designed to follow templates.

The UDFT5152 will follow a bottom template on material up to 1 1/2" deep.

The Ultimate trim bit will work with either bottom or top templates on materials up to 1 1/8" deep.

Personally, I am not a fan of the top and bottom bearing trim bit. I have used a top bearing bit to route dados in materials. Having bearings on both ends eliminates that as a possibility.

I have top bearing trim bits and bottom bearing trim bits.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    Guess I should have been more specific. Which bit will be more versatile? What cuts will one allow me to do that the other won't?
    I think you'll get good results with either bit. The larger diameter should give a slightly smoother cut; the smaller diameter will fit into tighter spaces.

To be safe, you should probably get both ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. I decided on the UDFT5152 to start with. I'll add the other for tighter turns. I got a great price on a new one on ebay, so that was the kicker. Thanks again for the nudges.