Thread: Price advice for some planes

Price advice for some planes

My plane collection is getting large and I don't use them much. I need the money for some other hobbies, can you give me some advice on how to price these?2018-03-02 16.59.32.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

the rest of the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cody,

The price of planes varies considerably, depending on size, maker, type, model, and condition.

Other, extremely poorly understood factors must also affect prices, from what I have been able to observe over the last few years, from what I have been able to observe. Things like woodworking articles on a specific model of a certain plane in popular woodworking magazines, clearly have an effect, but this certainly does not explain everything. So there may be other factors than no one understands, things like: whether the moon is in the 7th house, where tornados have hit recently, or the lemming population in Norway, who knows.

That said, for us to help on this, we need to be able to identify each plane, and evaluate the condition.

To do this we need pictures and descriptions of each plane individually, along with the length and width of the plane, which will tell us size number of the plane. The photos should include photos of any markings on the plane, such as cast in markings in front of and behind the knob, the heel, and between the frog and the tote. Dates, etc., on the horizontal adjuster can help, and a photo of the face of the frog where the iron sets against it also can help.

Finally to help with condition, photos of the bottom, top, and sides of the plane should be included, as should be photos of any defects, such as cracks, chips, strong corroded areas, etc.

There are plenty of well versed folks here that would be glad to help, but to do so, we need that kind of information.

I did see what looked like a Stanley Bailey type 11, maybe a #4, but I could not tell for sure. The right hand photo on the second set of photos is a Stanley Bailey type 11, but whether it is a 3 or 4, I can't tell.

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-23-2018 at 9:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    To do this we need pictures and descriptions of each plane individually, along with the length and width of the plane
    The width of the blade is more helpful than the width of the plane body.

Otherwise what Stew posted is right on.

Most of those look like what rust hunters look to find at a good price to fix up for use or to sell.

Unless there is a #4-1/2 and a #5-1/2 in the group my money would stay in my pocket if it were priced at $100 for the lot. Do remember that beside being a bottom fisher, my shop doesn't need any more bench planes at the moment. Recently a block plane similar to the one in your group was picked up for $3.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The #5 looking plane in the middle of the group is a Millers Falls "V" line No. 814.....

Cody, Jim is exactly right, what is needed is the width of the iron, not the plane itself. I knew better, but did not write it up correctly.

Price also depends on how you sell them.

Garage sale and flea market prices are low. Ebay prices are quite a bit higher. From what little I have observed, Craigs list prices can be good.

If there is a woodworking club in your area, you might visit with some of them.

Like Jim, I would not pay very much for a plane, and for exactly the same reason....I have all the bench planes I need, but also like Jim, if there is a 4&1/2 or in my case a 5&1/4 (thanks to Steven using one frequently in his builds) in the lot, I might be interested. On the other hand, if a Neander wanna-be shows up, you could get a reasonable price for the planes.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 05-24-2018 at 9:49 PM.