Thread: Ideas for DIY Router Table extension for SawStop PCS

Ideas for DIY Router Table extension for SawStop PCS

I'm thinking about making a router table extension for my 36" SawStop PCS.

I know SawStop offers a new product for this, but it appears to extend to the right of the existing MDF extension table and I don't want to increase the footprint. And my fence rails would need some additional retrofit kit.

Any good plans, pictures, or ideas for doing this?

What I have in mind is essentially replacing the existing MDF extension table with more-or-less the same thing that is a tad beefier and obviously has a hole cut out for a mounting plate (I want to keep the existing MDF table uncut in case I need to sell the saw at some point). I see appeal in using an attachment on the existing T-glide fence, as then I can use it from either side. For instance I know I'll be attempting to route some long door stiles this summer and in this situation the workpiece would be to the left of the router table extension rather than to the right.

Here’s how I did it. An extra Sawstop cast iron extension and a cast iron router extension. I got the router extension that fit the router plates I already had from Peachtree. I had an existing router fence that I adapted to fit the slots in the Peachtree table. I have thought of making a router fence that fits over the Sawstop fence and that might give better dust collection above the table. I use a Triton router that has good below-the-table dust collection, but the above table collection is so-so. I have dual hoses from my vac for above and below table collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Pitman; 05-23-2018 at 9:11 PM.

Here's how I did it, though with the contractor saw:
    DSC_8499 for web.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Roger

I would go with a Benchdog, or the CI extension table in Keith's post. Alan has a nice set up also if you wanted to do a complete work station.( That's a really impressive work station you have there Alan.)

The problem I always had with extension made from MDF, is that after time, they all sagged and there would be gaps, or the changes in humidity would cause very slight swelling. I tried a lot of different designs, support structure, and then pretty much gave up and made an dedicated router table with a Baltic Birch top. Now I have a shaper in the shop, so my need for a router mounted in a table is pretty much non existent.
    If I were to go back to a router mounted in the table saw, it would be the way Keith has done it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Check out his video from Jay Bates

Jay also has one for his SawStop. I'm trying to find that one for you too.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 05-24-2018 at 7:56 AM.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Here is the SawStop specific version:

Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.