Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input?

Input?

Since January I've read most all the posts concerning lasers and software, purchased Corel and have a working acquaintance with the software, and should have a new shop in the next 6-8 weeks. What I don't have is experience and have only a very general idea of what I'll be doing. I live in rural central PA but there are lots of craft shows around, some quite large. The closest city of any size is 20 miles and it's about 50k. I figure it will take at least 2 years to get my name out and establish any sort of customer base and FWIW I owned a retail music store for 20 years so I'm acquainted with the behind the scenes work that's involved. Also in my favor I will have no debt so IF this is a total flop at least I'll have a shop and cool toy to play with. All that being said I'm looking at Rabbit Laser both the QX-40-6040 and QX-60-9060 machine and the difference in price is about $1700. For that I'd get a larger table and 60 watt vs 40 watt tube. Any opinions are welcome, you won't hurt my feelings!

P.S. I like the idea of decorative/decor items but also understand the real money is in production work but the reality is I'm 72 and would be happy if I could clear $15-20k/yr if that makes any difference.

Always opt for more power if you can.

The internet is your friend.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Completely agree with Mike, more power is the smarter decision. If your background is in music, you should have no problems reaching out to people making instruments and doing custom work for them. There are a lot of people out there making their own instruments and engraving them makes their items more appealing.

Good luck with your venture. Rabbit has a pretty good reputation for customer support. I think that's a solid choice.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!

for info only the 6040 can be upgraded to 60 watts if you wanted the smaller table. I have a 6040 60 watt and really don't need a bigger table for hobby work. Pends on what your going to do Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Middleton View Post
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert! I had Raymond quote both machines with 60w and identical options and there was $1,100 difference. My inner "tight wad" says save the money and my "previously disappointed" self says just spend the money so you don't regret it later. I'm leaning toward spending the money.

Speaking from experience - get the 60 watt laser! - (exclamation point used for emphasis)
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)

Another vote for investing in the more powerful tube. Upgrading the smaller machine to 60w seems like it might be the best compromise if you really don't need the larger bed on the 60w unit you cited.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Thanks to everyone for your input. I don't know where this will lead but I think for the relatively small difference in price I'll go for the larger machine.

One thing to think about is you can cut or engrave small stuff on a large table but you can cut or engrave large stuff that is just a tad bigger then a little table. I wish I had gone to a bigger table when I bought mine as I could have done some jobs that where just a little bigger then my machine could handle

I’m hitting my third year with my machine, and I only use it a few times a week to cut fabric for my sewing business, I’m so glad that I purchased the largest machine that I could fit through my door, which Ray and I had to take apart to get it through the door.
    No regrets here for purchasing a Rabbit.
    Enjoy, and don’t listen to your inner cheapness, LOL
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

This is slightly off topic but specific to laser owners. The new 24x40 metal building went up Saturday, 12 hour job for 3 guys, and I've been reading about dust collection. This will not be a woodworking shop per se as I have a 24x24 building adjacent for table saw, miter saw, etc and my look into a CNC router down the road. With this in mind will a shop vac or portable HF dust collector be adequate for the laser part of this project. Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Steve

You really need an exhaust system. Neither of the options you proposed are specific to the job. You need to get rid of the smoke and fumes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Harbor Freight dust collectors work just fine, but you'll need the blower unit outside to keep all of the smoke extraction plumbing in a vacuum condition.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

So the exhaust on the laser is not sufficient for the task? Would the dust collector need to be plumbed directly to the laser? With no experience to draw from all I have are questions Have to laugh at myself!