Thread: Made a couple more tools

Made a couple more tools

I had been practicing dovetails without a marking gauge. Let's just say that laying them out with a rule and edge takes a bit of time and patience. I could have ordered a marking gauge... instead I made one in a couple hours.

marking gauge (5).jpg marking gauge (4).JPG marking gauge (2).jpg

With a left over chunk of bois d'arc from this build I made a dovetail marker. 1:7 ratio. I need to put a slight bevel on my marking knives because the flat edge likes to catch on the wood and tear into it.

dovetail marker (1).jpg dovetail marker (2).jpg

I made a mallet a few weeks ago out of soft maple (the head) and laminate cherry and maple for the handle. I drove bois d'arc wedges in the handle top but forgot to take pictures of that.

Mallet (1).jpg Mallet (2).jpg

There's not much special about these tools visually, but they all work quite well (with my limited hand tool experience.)
    -Lud

Nice tools !

It's very satisfying to make and use you own tools. One learns more from making them than buying them IMO.

Enjoy them and take pride in your productivity. It's a good thing.

Good Job!

Great job! i get so much satisfaction every time I swing a made mallet. Those look great.

Blog Entries
    Looking good on the shop made tools.

I need to put a slight bevel on my marking knives because the flat edge likes to catch on the wood and tear into it.
    Why not attach thin strips of metal to the dovetail gage? A bevel on the marking knives will still likely catch wood at times and might make accurate marking a bit tougher.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-23-2018 at 9:50 PM. Reason: word reduction for proper grammer
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Why not attach a thin strips of metal to the dovetail gage? A bevel on the marking knives will still likely catch wood at times and might make accurate marking a bit tougher.

jtk
    Didn't think of that. I'll try putting a tiny bevel on the marking knife I made and see how the accuracy goes. If it doesn't work then I'll assess the dovetail maker. Thanks for the idea.
    -Lud