Thread: problem with table top glue up

problem with table top glue up

I have a question about a table top glue-up.

I glued (using Titebond II) and clamped two boards together for a small table top. As I tightened the clamps I noticed that a half inch long portion in the center of the joint showed no glue squeeze out. Fearing that the joint was starved for glue I quickly separated the boards (within 30 seconds) and applied more glue to the entire length of the joint and clamped the boards together again.

I later scraped the glue squeeze out away and the joint looked very good. So, is this re-glued joint as strong as a normal glue joint? Should I be concerned about the long-term integrity of the joint?

Thanks in advance.

Tom
    Last edited by tom blankenship; 05-23-2018 at 10:59 AM.

You're fine. It will be just as strong. No concerns long-term.
    JR

It will be fine. You did the right thing and it is good as new. Cheers

4. Tom,

one possible thing that may have happened when you did the first glue-up, was that there wasn't as much clamping pressure in the middle as there was throughout the rest of the panel. But, if your clamping was more or less equal along the glue line, then inadequate glue was to blame.

You're fine.

Sounds kinda like a spring joint

Twist Test Technique

Just before you put glue to the joint, I recommend doing the twist test. That is placing the two to be glued edge surfaces together and twist them latterly
    while holding a flash light on the back side of the joint edge. This will show you any parts of the edge joints that are still a bit too concave. Adjust the
    non concave portions of the joint edges with extremely light plane cuts until the twisting back and forth about 1 1/2 inches shows almost no concave
    areas.

A bit of practice and this technique will give you friendly edge joint glue ups.

Enjoy the shavings!
    Last edited by Terry Beadle; 05-23-2018 at 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Agreed. Your glue joint will be fine. Most likely glue was to blame. Mr. Beadle, I like your technique, Sir! I've done a lot of glue ups right off the jointer, checked with a square & had good luck. But I'm goin' to try your way next time!
    Sawdust703