Thread: Portable/Contractor Table Saw

Portable/Contractor Table Saw

I have a buddy that wants a new portable table saw. He wants it out of the way when not in use. He will be using it to make bee boxes, and won't be cutting much over 3/4" material. It needs to be able to cut at least 20". He's not one to expand in to fine woodworking, just looking for something under $500. Dust collection is not a huge issue for him.

He's looking at the Rigid R4513 15 amp, 10" saw on eBay.

Any comments, or other suggestions?
    Last edited by Mark W Pugh; 05-22-2018 at 9:15 PM.

Reviews I found looked good. I like my Ryobi BT3100 and if you saw one at a good price it would be worth considering. But that Rigid looks like it is fine for a portable (the Ryobi is about the same size but heavier).

The thing your friend has to consider is if he wants to use box joints for the hive boxes, he'll need a saw that can accept a dado stack setup for ~3/4" width. Many portable saws have limitations on using dado stacks. If he's going to use rabbit joints, then he can do them with a fence hight extension. I am not familiar with any of the portable saws, but offer that advise as something that has to be on the short list requirements. There do see to be a lot of folks who use smaller saws on the Beesource forums, but there's also a lot of folks who picked up older contractor style saws and reduced their footprints to just handle the box joint work using a jig.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-22-2018 at 9:34 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The thing your friend has to consider is if he wants to use box joints for the hive boxes, he'll need a saw that can accept a dado stack setup for ~3/4" width. Many portable saws have limitations on using dado stacks. If he's going to use rabbit joints, then he can do them with a fence hight extension. I am not familiar with any of the portable saws, but offer that advise as something that has to be on the short list requirements. There do see to be a lot of folks who use smaller saws on the Beesource forums, but there's also a lot of folks who picked up older contractor style saws and reduced their footprints to just handle the box joint work using a jig.
    He has a pretty good router table setup for dados/rabbits.

I really like the little Dewalt for a portable saw. Good fence, and portability can't be beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    He has a pretty good router table setup for dados/rabbits.
    Understood, but many beeks like to use finger joints for boxes because over time, the joints stay stronger and more consistent out in the weather. If he want's to do that with the saw, the saw has to be capable of running at least a 3/4" stack.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Understood, but many beeks like to use finger joints for boxes because over time, the joints stay stronger and more consistent out in the weather. If he want's to do that with the saw, the saw has to be capable of running at least a 3/4" stack.
    The specks say it can do 3/4 dado, throat not included. I think I read somewhere else that this could be a problem finding the correct insert.

All other small saw recs considered.

The Dewalt I posted will do 13/16" dado according to the specs.

Steve, a link or model number would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I really like the little Dewalt for a portable saw. Good fence, and portability can't be beat.

OK, I'm looking at this saw https://www.dewalt.com/en-us/product...tand/dwe7491rs. What I don't understand how the work is supported when the table is extended. It will cut out to 32 1/2", but I see nothing that will support the far side of the material. What am I missing here?

Makita 2704/5

My Makita 2704 is great. It is made in the USA, I think in Georgia.

That model was replaced by 2705. Basically the same stuff. I believe it is also made in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    OK, I'm looking at this saw https://www.dewalt.com/en-us/product...tand/dwe7491rs. What I don't understand how the work is supported when the table is extended. It will cut out to 32 1/2", but I see nothing that will support the far side of the material. What am I missing here?
    The fence flips a quarter turn to the left from the position shown. It's "L" shaped, so it then supports the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Steve, a link or model number would help.
    Matt, Mark has a good link listed now, sorry I should have added one earlier.

After yet another very pleasant session with my cordless Makita track saw, I'm very inclined to recommend one of them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon