Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for source of exotics.

thewoodyard.com. They will ship.

If you ever get anywhere near Asheville Nc ( I know a 7-8 hr drive) But if you ever get down this way look up "Core Mart" Maybe 10 miles north of town. They get wood from all over the world ( I mean ALL over the world) and make pen blanks for one of the woodworking catalogs we all get in the mail.
    They have several bins of shorts, cutoffs,etc. Each bin is like 5 X 6 X 3 ft deep heaped to the top with wood that they sell by the lb. Last time I went I think it was $6 a lb.

Quote Originally Posted by John Welty View Post
    If you ever get anywhere near Asheville Nc ( I know a 7-8 hr drive) But if you ever get down this way look up "Core Mart" Maybe 10 miles north of town.
    I finally found it I think, with the name Cormark instead.

Is this it?
    Cormark International
    179 Reems Creek Road
    Weaverville, NC 28787
    (828) 658- 8455
    https://www.cormarkint.com/

I may just drive over and check it out!

JKJ

You are correct, my bad. It is indeed "Cormark International" And that is the right address. Last time I went I asked if I could wander around a bit to look at what. they offer. They said no problem and the next hr was an eye opener for exotic wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Well yeah, it's never cheap. Wenge is $25/bd-ft at Rockler and Woodworkers, while it is under $8 at the real lumberyard.
    Who may I ask is the real lumberyard you're referencing?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I don't know for sure but I think Woodfinder only lists suppliers who pay a fee to be included. I've used it to find local sawmills before I got a WoodMizer.
    Might be, but my comment was on the fact that you can't rely on it, as a user. The three places I would look first were not on the list. Two are places that don't advertise and "nobody" seems to know about, but they have great prices. The third is a very large tool and lumber dealer. They do list the stuff everyone knows about, like Woodworker's Source. My non-woodworking neighbor even knew about them (and bought a bunch of lumber there to make a table at 2x price instead of asking me first).

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Well, I need some soon, so I'll update the price if it has changed. I'm not sure when I bought it last. Guess I should have bought more?
    Happens to all of us. 10 years ago I found a load of nice kingwood on sale for $20/bf. I had no use for it, but it seemed like a good buy so I bought 5bf of it. Geez, why didn't I buy 50bf!?!?!

During the economic downturn, many woodworking/cabinet shops closed up, and we bought a LOT of wood. When your wife is also into woodworking, she just automatically gets special deals just for being female in a shop. Flame maple 6/4 at under $2/ft?? We took it ALL. Bubinga at $4? We have around half a ton left, mostly 8/4+. So yeah, we haven't purchased lumber in a lot of years. The Wenge, my favorite wood for part of the house, wasn't as plentiful and we are now out of anything more than cut-offs. I need to finish a project and fear the price tag.