Thread: Toro SR or Honda HRX

Toro SR or Honda HRX

I have a 2005 Toro SR4 Super Recycler. These are the beefier dealer version you can't buy at box stores...beefier transmission, cast aluminum deck, beefier wheel mounts...
    So, it's 13 years old and still runs great, but the side deflector cover won't stay shut, the mulch plug doesn't seat quite right so I get clippings coming out the back and on top of the deck.... little stuff.
    Thinking of retiring her.
    Do I get another Toro SR, or do I move over to the Honda HRX?
    I do love the Personal Pace, but Honda's Select drive seems fine, and the handle was not an issue in terms of comfort. Honda has a two blade system and by all accounts cuts and mulches better AND i get a 190cc honda motor which is helpful for my thick lawn.
    Seems all the new engines are OHV, so power shouldn't be a concern at 160cc, but more torque at 190cc means less chance of bogging.
    Decisions....

I just bought a slightly used snapper and I prefer the honda 3 speed to the toro variable. The honda speeds are good for me, easy to hold the handle down . The toro is too touchy and it would cramp my hand after 30-40 minutes. But By then I am done mowing my suburban yard. I think I will tape a block so it can not be pulled to fast.
    Bill D

While I have no experience with the Toro, Snappers, etc. I own a Honda 1984 HR214 w/ 2 speeds and a 1999 John Deere JX 75, both self propelled and both with blade clutches. I won't own a mower without a blade clutch. The Honda doesn't own me anything although does puff a few minutes after start-up. The JD is Kawasaki powered with pressure lube system, runs as good as the day I bought it. I did have to replace the 5 speed transaxle last fall. Both mowers have had hard lives as in the fall I use them to mulch and bag maple leaves from (17) 60' trees. Hard on motors, blades and transmissions. There's not a lot of mowers with blade clutches out there, I think there's only one or two of the more expensive Honda's which offer it. The JD isn't made any longer, if it was, I would have bought a new one instead of replacing the transaxle.
    Mac

I have two mowers, at two different properties. One is a Toro SR4 (I think its a 2012) - it has a 190cc engine. I also have a 2010 Honda HRR216. They are both good mowers, starting easily. I prefer the Honda, as it is lighter weight and easier to maneuver. But the Toro speed control system is better. I'd have to look hard at the cost differential for the HRX. Never thought about the blade clutch issue.

I had a Honda HRX. Transmission body wore through in about five years and was leaking oil. Had it repaired at a cost of over $300. In two years I had the same issue. I did not repair and bought a Toro with a Honda engine. I would prefer a blade clutch but I do not think they do that any more on homeowner level mowers.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I had a Honda HRX. Transmission body wore through in about five years and was leaking oil. Had it repaired at a cost of over $300. In two years I had the same issue. I did not repair and bought a Toro with a Honda engine. I would prefer a blade clutch but I do not think they do that any more on homeowner level mowers.
    Good feedback, thanks. I'm just not sure the Honda will have the same longevity as the Super Recycler. Shame I can't get a 190cc engine option on the SR.