Thread: Stanley No. 112 Scraper - how to turn bur?

Stanley No. 112 Scraper - how to turn bur?

I have a Stanley 112 in nice condition. The iron has about a 60° bevel at one end and is square at the other end. Working at the square end, I tried to turn a bur using a good burnisher.
    • I clamped the iron in my typical wood workbench end clamp, using another plane blade at the other end to keep things parallel.
    • I filed it square (like I would a card scraper).
    • I kept the angle around 5-10 degrees and stroked the burnisher full length.
    • Note: It sure is easy to hit my knuckles, especially if I am putting a lot of down force.
    • I feel a slight bur after a few strokes, but it feels just about the same after 20-30 strokes.
    • I tested the scraping holding the iron by hand (so so) and in the plane body also (worse).

It doesn't seem like I'm being very effective.

1. Any general advice?
    2. Am I correct in thinking that I should be able to turn a bur on both sides of the square end?
    3. What is the 60° end used for?

Thanks.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Doug, the two pictures below illustrate the typical set up for a scraper plane iron. Use the 60 degree side and form a burr as shown in the pictures (The Lee Valley illustration is a scraper plane vs bench plane).

14A50CD4-A054-4B55-A92D-70C5951049FF.gif 0B08A833-922C-4677-A8F2-89A5EBFA3915.jpeg