Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vectric Users Group Chicago October 2018

Vectric Users Group Chicago October 2018

Just signed up. Chicago is close enough. Plan to bring my wife Angela. Shed should have some operational CNC tools running in it by then.

Anyone else thinking about going to it? $200 ea is the fee.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm signed up to go as well. Should be interesting with version 9.5 releasing this summer.

I can't do another training/conference right now, but I'm sure you'll enjoy the event. The Vectric folks are pretty kewel...two of them were at the recent Aspire Camp at McGrew's in SC and things were interesting. (I'm sure that James will attest to that as he was there along with a few others of us from SMC) There are some nice little goodies coming in V9.5 this summer and hopefully, there were be even more detail at the users' event.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have chosen not to go due to the crime in Chicago. I just read in the news that the National Guard may be deployed there soon! Incredible that it has gotten that bad.

When Vectric announced the location was Chicago I posted information on the crime in that city to the Vectric forums so all our fellow users could be informed and take necessary precautions when they go to the training. Vectric removed my post.

So be careful and safe when there guys. Stay inside if you can.

Take care,

Jimmy
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

The murders in Chicago are gang members killing other gang members. Unless you venture in those neighbor hoods you won't be caught in the crossfire. The police aren't movated to do much because nobody in those areas wants to help. So it goes on and on. Yet we have relatives who live in Chicago, and have for years without problems.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The murders in Chicago are gang members killing other gang members. Unless you venture in those neighbor hoods you won't be caught in the crossfire. The police aren't movated to do much because nobody in those areas wants to help. So it goes on and on. Yet we have relatives who live in Chicago, and have for years without problems.
    Bill,

Not really sure where you are getting your news from, but not all these murders and people getting wounded are gang on gang from the news on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, Chicago Tribune, etc. I mean the 3 year old that just got wounded on Friday night I am willing to bet is NOT in a gang, unless they are really starting them off young these days...

I agree with you that these are most likely gang on gang crime related. The problem is the civilians get caught in the crossfire. And that is great that they are in other areas than where the conference is, the problem is that bullets don't care that you are supposed to be in a safe area and the effective lethal range of an AR-15 chambered in .223 is up to 600 yards. Further than that it can wound someone. That is the problem, the reason for the shootings may be gang related, but unfortunately a lot of other people are getting hurt or worse, killed.

Again, for me it is to unsafe. To you and others it may be an acceptable risk. And so I wish you well and hope you enjoy the conference.

Thank you,

James
    Shenhui SH-G690 Laser
    Shark Pro CNC Router
    G0619/SX3 CNC Milling Machine
    Vytek Rebel CNC Router (Mach3 Conversion)
    Rostock MAX 3D Printer
    NextEngine 3D HD Scanner
    Epson Stylus Pro 9880 Printer
    Mighty Press Transfer Press
    Chinese Laminator

I think the national gaurd would have been sent if requested. It can certainly be sent without request from Chicago.

Did this already happen? I'm thinking about getting their software and would love to go.

Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Phillips View Post
    Bill,

Not really sure where you are getting your news from, but not all these murders and people getting wounded are gang on gang from the news on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, Chicago Tribune, etc. I mean the 3 year old that just got wounded on Friday night I am willing to bet is NOT in a gang, unless they are really starting them off young these days...
    James
    The shooters are gang members, and the unfortunate non gang member people getting shot live in those neighborhoods.

This is in spite of IL and Chicago having the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Honest citizens can not legally own or carry weapons unless they go through a very restrictive process. Even ammunition is regulated.

Stay away from those areas and you will not have an issue. I am not going to the conference but if I wanted too this would not stop me.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I worked in Chicago for a few years, have family that live in the area and know it fairly well. All the stuff on the news in pretty much contained to a pretty small area of Chicago that most people would never visit. It really makes the numbers even more staggering when you consider the population of the area where these occur and don't take in the entire population of Chicago. Unless you decide to visit that particular area, you are about as safe in the rest of the city as you are in any major city in the US. I probably wouldn't want to fly into Midway airport as you would have to drive thru that area but would have no issues flying into O'hare and attending the conference.

I plan on being in Chicago for a birthday and would have loved to go unfortunately it happens about 2 weeks too early for me.

When I worked the trade shows there we stayed just on the border of the bad area. I would not go out the one entrance as it faced that neighborhood. I did stay at the Embassy Suites and found it to be a little pricey as everything was an extra. when I was there 4 years ago you had to pay for wifi and other things that are normally free.

From Danville, IL. I'm good.

Getting closer. That hotel sure is pricey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Getting closer. That hotel sure is pricey!!!
    Did you have Vectric book it for you when you registered? I thought their rate wasn't too bad.