Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 windows - build or buy?

AFAIK California does not allow new single pane windows. At least no stores have them in stock. You can replace the glass in old single pane but not replace with new single pane windows.
    Bill D

You can buy precut single strength in several sizes cheap and design the sash around the glass rather than having the glass cut to your sash.

If you want a nice window that will last as long as you need look at Marvin All-Ultrex. It is a reinforced synthetic, looks like wood but much stronger, cheaper than wood in standard sizes, and they seal very nicely indeed, and will never rot. Miles better than a vinyl window. I have been using them on Lake Michigan for the last few years because of the fierce winds, and they have fared very well resisting the wind driven rains wonderfully.

Larry, thank you for advice. Will check Marvin All-Ultrex. Looks like I am going to buy. (
    Ed.

I thought I'd mention that the company I work for (Rangate) supports Alpine Technical Workshop, a specialized wood window joinery school that runs sessions a few times a year. If you do end up considering making wood windows regularly, it's a great experience.

Our instructor Joe Calhoon has been making wood windows for over 30 years now. He's pretty active on forums and the like so you might know him; I can tell you there's nobody I'd rather have teach me about window joinery. It might be overkill for your project, but IMO it's a must for anyone seriously looking at making wood windows well (too much alliteration....).

If you will enjoy the construction process, go and make them by yourself otherwise purchase them.

All the best!