Thread: Another just curious.............

Blog Entries

Another just curious.............

I am replacing Harvey damaged wood flooring. The shoe molding is not quarter round .
    I obviously miter the outside corners. I cope one leg of the inside corner to the 3/4 X 11/16" shape of the shoe molding.
    Shoe molding is not quarter round. How do you guys do this? Just curious...…….

Just like any other coped inside corner molding. Run the first piece straight into the corner. The next piece gets a 45 degree cut (for a 90 degree inside corner), cope out the part inside the outer profile, and it fits over the first piece. It doesn't matter what the shape is, as long as both pieces are exactly identical.

Lowell,

I just did some of this. I do as Tom suggests, but instead of actually coping it with a saw, I found a forstner bit with the same radius as the molding. I tacked a straightedge to a piece of scrap, and then clamped the scrap to the drill press so the forstner bit just touches the fence. Slap your piece of shoe molding in there and drill. It will come to a perfect point and match your existing piece perfectly.

Blog Entries
    I know how to make the joint, but needed shoe mold. I have it now and I have both coping and fret saws, so I am in business.

I'll do it tomorrow. Thanks for your interest.