Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SawStop 3hp or 5hp?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I don't believe SawStop offers a single phase 7.5HP motor, at least according to their current website. That's only available in 3 phase.
    My mistake, you are correct. 7.5HP was 3 phase, but in the same frame.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I'm not surprised if various motor hp options were all fit into the same frame motor. that has become increasingly common as companies market HP but don't want to beef up their build to handle larger heavier frame motors. The downside is that the higher hp motors run hotter. The insulation handles the extra heat but the bearings fail more quickly. Replacing those high HP small frame motors is expensive because they are difficult to rewind and often the only replacements are available from the machine manufacturer who upcharges for them. As a matter of information it would be good to know what frame sizes are used and if larger motors use a larger frame. I always look at the motor efficiency and frame size relative to HP when researching machines. Dave
    Not that failures are good, but bearings are cheap. My dust collector motor crapped out, less than a grand I was back up and running. That includes a stator rewind and having the fan balanced, which I want to say was $300 of the bill.

Getting a not light motor and fan down from eighteen feet in the air was a pain.

Martin, scaffolding and chainfall ftw!

A good comparison horsepower is aboat .8 of an inch depth of cut per horse power.

-A Hammer table saw with a 4 hp. motor and a 300 mm, can handle 3.2 inches depth of cut.
    -A saw stop with 10 inch blade and 5 hp can handle a 4 inch depth of cut. This machine would be great for rebates.
    -A good old general or UnI had a depth of cut of aboat 3 inches. But they really struggled above 2.5” with the three HP motor.
    I have used the SS 3 hp at school, it really shows it’s limitations above the 2 1/2 inch range (or 10/4).
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 05-26-2018 at 1:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mattingley View Post
    I have used the SS 3 hp at school, it really shows it’s limitations above the 2 1/2 inch range (or 10/4).
    The blade used could be a factor. I know most schools use a combo blade. I have had no issues cutting walnut or maple about 3 inch thick and 4 feet long on SS 3hp with a ripping blade on several occasions.

Simon

You know the cuts you make.
    You know how you feel about what you have now.
    If it has never been lacking power why would you think that would change now?
    Having said that, if you are going to get the ICS (taking in consideration the electricity is already in place) $3899 vs $4299 does not seem like much of a difference to me.
    As accessories are added and the price goes on up that $400 becomes even less of a difference.
    Only you know your money situation, if you won't remember spending the extra $400 in a month's time then just get the one you want.
    If the purchase creates a financial burden you already have a great saw and while the SawStop is awesome it won't do anything (other than not cutting your thumb off) the saw you have will do.
    Always fun to talk about getting tools.
    Good luck.

A large commercial shop ripping lumber with a power feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Martin, scaffolding and chainfall ftw!
    How about engine hoist strapped to the forks of a forklift? I was a good foot and a half short with just the forklift.

Martin, a Diy fork truck jib crane! Love it. Dont try this at home kids!!

I had to lift my motor and impeller housing and this 4' inner intake tube up into the 6' cyclone housing so my chainfall was mounted at the top of the scaffolding. It was not the fastest but I had great control of it.

My first saw when I opened my shop was a 5 h.p. Powermatic and my second, and last, a 6.5 hp (5kw) Ulmia. With a 12" blade, either one could, and did on occasion, rip 16/4 material in one pass, a huge benefit when handling heavy timbers by yourself.