Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make these chairs?

How to make these chairs?

A client says she would like some chairs that look like the ones in the this photo.

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 9.12.55 AM.jpg

I am trying to work out how the legs and back rest are attached to the seat.
    I imagine the legs are made as two laminated U's, and crisscross each other right under the seat, and are screwed into the seat. What do you think?

The backs - are they wedge mortised in? Or as these are somewhat production process chairs would they use a different method? In case it matters, it looks like the seat grain runs front to back.

And while you're here, how are the table legs attached to the top?

thanks, Mark

Just did a reverse image search, and that's an Axis table and chairs by Copeland furniture. Here's a page for the chair with a bunch of different shots:

https://www.copelandfurniture.com/di...xis-chair.html

Here's a view of the underside, it looks like it's just attached by blocks, so you'd probably want to improve on that:

https://www.copelandfurniture.com/me...hairdetail.jpg

At the very least you are going to need mortise and tenon joints to attach legs to seats and legs to table top. The seats and table top are quite thick to give more timber to joint into. There is clever use of shaping and profiling to give the illusion of thin material. In times past, through and wedged tenons would be the way to do it. I would still do it this way but you will have to find out from the customer if this appearance is acceptable. If not, good luck....

I am a bit concerned about how the back attaches to the seat. It will be supported by short grain behind the tenons. The shaping/thickening at the base of the backrest will be critical as this allows you to move the mortise further from the back edge of the seat. Use two tenons side by side in each half of the backrest so that the short grain is better supported.

You will also need to use a high strength timber for this job and a really good glue. What you are building is a spindle chair without any stringers between the legs. They won't be too bad to do. As usual with chairs, it is a ton of machining with a bit of assembly to finish off. I would stay away from laminating frames etc. It will be too much work and not a great look. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

could one dovetail that in like the tage frid stool?

Amazing to me that you all found such specific material to answer my questions, so thank you.

The embedded video of Copeland Furniture showing their chair making is well worth the few minutes spent looking at it. They use over 20,000 bd ft of lumber a week! It's incredible to see the speed at which they make chairs compared to how long it takes me.

Wayne - if you check back in - do you think my idea of laminated legs is too IKEA-ish to be attractive?
    And too much work? - I think chairs are always a lot of work regardless.

Laminated legs are OK. However, I think in this case it will be difficult to engineer them to do what you want. You would have to find a way to combine the straight outer edge of the leg with the required inner curve to create the u-shape. Even then, they will not look like the picture.

You are correct that chairs are a lot of work. To me this means choosing what to expend your effort on. You will get the look of this suite better by putting your time into good joints.

The other consideration with this suite is that it is a design from a mass production factory. You will need to do something a bit special to set it apart from the cookie cutter stuff. Try timber selection, carving or whatever so your customer feels they are getting value. It's actually better to get new techniques rather than designs from the mass production places. Try telling a customer that... Cheers

It's interesting that the wedge behind the leg appears to only tough the leg just above where the curve starts. There's a gap between that point and the underside of the seat.

There's something that bothers me in the Copeland pics. The boards that form the back aren't visually balanced -- not even remotely. One is mostly rift, and the other is mostly plainsawn. I'd take the time to balance the two. I might go to the trouble of resawing thicker stock to do a real book match. If you don't have that resaw capability, you can at least select the two boards more carefully than Copeland did.

Jamie that jumped out at me too. I pointed it out to my client, and interestingly she said "what do you mean? oh, that? That wouldn't bother me".

But you're right, I would try to make them more sympathetic to each other.

Blog Entries
    you could attach the legs and then drill two holes in the joint side. Then peg the legs with dowel pins.
    Just a thought. I would consider a vertical pin into the seat bottom as well. Just a thought . . . .

[QUOTE=Glen Gunderson;2815032]Just did a reverse image search, and that's an Axis table and chairs by Copeland furniture. Here's a page for the chair with a bunch of different shots:

Glen, how do you do a reverse image search? thanks, bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Falk View Post
    Glen, how do you do a reverse image search? thanks, bob

Go to https://images.google.com/ and click on the camera icon in the search bar. Then you can either paste the URL of the image (if it's already online and publicly accessible) or you can upload the image file. Then it'll analyze the image and return other pages that use that same image and/or visually similar ones. It's not 100% effective, but you can usually find out more info about something if all you have is the picture.

When I look at those chairs, I just picture a really... uh... rotund person sitting on it and see the legs splaying out and the person ending up on the floor with the legs splayed out in the shape of an X under their butt.

I would use mortise & tenons. Thru tenons for legs into seats w/ wedges.

Typical of many people, they see something that appeals to the eye, but its our job as furniture builders to point out the flaws.

I would explain to the client its a poor design, but doable only if you put in leg stretchers and tell them you do not screw chairs together.

The added cost of joinery may nix the whole project......