Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make these chairs?

Copeland didn't, but what if you make pairs of legs as a bent lamination, then fix them to the bottom of the seat? If the diagonally opposing legs were connected, you could use a half-lap under the center of the seat, and there would be very little stress on the seat to leg joint.

I personally don't see an aesthetic benefit to leaving out stretchers that so simply and efficiently add strength.

Look like a justification for a Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I would use mortise & tenons. Thru tenons for legs into seats w/ wedges.

Typical of many people, they see something that appeals to the eye, but its our job as furniture builders to point out the flaws.

I would explain to the client its a poor design, but doable only if you put in leg stretchers and tell them you do not screw chairs together.

The added cost of joinery may nix the whole project......
    Robert, I have to respectfully disagree. While most customers only see the style, it is our job as furniture makers to provide solutions. No-one wants to know how hard it is, just can you do it. It is also not a good strategy to be negative and point out flaws in the work of others even if it is a mass production mob.

The most successful approach is to take on board the customer requirements and come up with a solution that provides real and saleable points of difference that justify the hand built price tag. Cheers

Blog Entries
    On second thought, I would probably experiment with mortise and tenon joints with through pegs.

If you ever wanted to adjust the legs, the peg could be drilled out.