Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work Bench or Assembly Table?

Build something simple. One sheet of plywood, a few 2x4s. Give it a top and a lower shelf. Start doing projects on it. You'll develop it as you work through real projects. My original work tables got me through ten busy years before I outgrew them.

Here's a video that provides some interesting ideas for a quick workbench/assembly table that could be readily adapted to many situations.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

That video by April is what got me thinking along these lines. Then I found this one which is what I am thinking of using as the basis for my assembly table:

Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Keep it simple.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I have been wanting to build a real work bench but for the projects I like to do it's hard to see where I would get much benefit from it.
    It would look cool though.
    Before getting the whole garage I built a fold down outfeed table, I am glad I built it strong now since I use it for lots of stuff.
    Everything is on wheels and the outfeed table and work bench are the same height.

IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1234.jpg

Marshal, that's a nice setup. What I'd personally add to that is a regular matrix of dog holes...like a Festool MFT...to allow for additional clamping and alignment possibilities.
    --

Hi, I have a traditional bench, and am building one of these, except I'm using a hydraulic scissor lift table for the base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWEdrBdbBhg&t=359s

I bought the plans from Tmothy's web site, they're very complete and detailed.

His other YouTube videos are great, he's a very organized craftsman.

regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Marshal, that's a nice setup. What I'd personally add to that is a regular matrix of dog holes...like a Festool MFT...to allow for additional clamping and alignment possibilities.
    My intention is to add more holes and use holdfasts similar to these - https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...Gramercy_Tools

I would like to find a way to add a leg vise to the table using holdfasts but not sure if that is possible.
    Last edited by Marshall Harrison; 05-23-2018 at 9:47 PM.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I was looking at something similar before I build a hand tool bench later. A large, moveable, sturdy assembly/work bench. I was thinking about using the Kreg Track system on 2 corners with clamp mounts spaced in the table. The benefit of this system is that I could use the clamps in other area, e.g. drop saw, drill press, maybe even jigs/clamps for sliding table saw and shaper.

Count me for rolling carts that serve as work/layout/assembly surfaces, infeed and outfeed supports and for moving lumber and materials-in-process around. You've got to have a pretty smooth floor for travel and a fairly level floor if you want to gang them together for increased work surface area.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    My intention is to add more holes and use holdfasts similar to these - https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...Gramercy_Tools

I would like to find a way to add a leg vise to the table using holdfasts but not sure if that is possible.
    I use the Gramercy hold-fasts a lot. Do note that you need a thicker table to use them...I suggest no less than three layers of 3/4"/19mm sheet goods if you're going to build it up. A thin top will result in your dog holes breaking down pretty quickly.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use the Gramercy hold-fasts a lot. Do note that you need a thicker table to use them...I suggest no less than three layers of 3/4"/19mm sheet goods if you're going to build it up. A thin top will result in your dog holes breaking down pretty quickly.
    Can you alleviate the problem by just adding a 2x4 to each hole? That way you would have the thickness of the 3/4" top plus the thickness of the 2x4.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Here are pics of the outfeed for my old saw. I also put a router plate in the top.

outfeed1small.JPGoutfeed3small.JPGoutfeed5small.JPGoutfeed2small.JPGoutfeed4small.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Can you alleviate the problem by just adding a 2x4 to each hole? That way you would have the thickness of the 3/4" top plus the thickness of the 2x4.
    Theoretically, you can do that. Keep in mind that a typical 2x4 is pretty soft, however.
    --