Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Bench or Assembly Table?

Work Bench or Assembly Table?

Beeen raining for the last 7 days so I've been spending more time on Youtube than in the shop. I have noticed (and watched) a lot of videos where people seem to be building combination out feed and assembly tables. Some are pretty elaborate with storage, routing capabilities, downdraft areas and one even had air compressor and shop vac hookups. All this makes for a heavy assembly table.

So my question: do any of you have an assembly table instead of a traditional workbench? Is anyone planning on going in that direction? Pros and Cons?

Seems for a shop with limited space a multipurpose assembly table would make the most sense.

Waiting to hear your thoughts.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hey Marshall,
    I've been following some of your posts. Sounds like you are in the process of setting up shop. I recently did that too. I went the route of both a workbench and an assembly table.... different fixtures for different tasks. My assembly table is great for my small shop though. I would say it depends on what you are making and how you work. The workbench is a little more dedicated and the vises and bench dogs and holdfasts, bench hooks and storage are great for what I do.

You could have the best of both worlds if your "assembly table" had a few bench dog holes and some slots routed into it so you can use it as an assembly table, workbench and out-feed table... the slots allow you to use the miter gauge or any sleds you have on it. Add the router table and you'll have a great multi use tool. You can get around not having a vise by getting creative...
    must see video!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4&t=639s many great methods in this vise-less bench video.

My assembly table is not as versatile as the nicholson bench in the video above but I use it all the time. I can completely remove it from the tablesaw and set it up outside as a stand alone table too which is great for my tiny shop.
    If space is a premium then you would get the most bang for your buck from a multi use assembly table.
    cabinets and tablesaw-assembly table.jpg
    You can see the miter slots that allow it to be used as an out feed table. There are brackets attached to the back rail of the table that let me set it up that way too. I added some square tubing to the tablesaw to help support the end that hangs over the router table side of the saw. The table is laminated mdf and masonite (masonite is lightly glued to the mdf and can be replaced if needed). A few coats of spar urethane to seal it. You could add the dog holes to your top and make wooden dowel dogs just long enough to work.
    jon
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 05-21-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks Jon,

Yes, I'm actively building out my shop as time and money allows me to. I have Mike's plan for that workbench and I'm going to put some of his ides to work in the assembly table I am considering. I like the idea of bench dogs and hold downs. I'm really leaning towrards building this - https://stoneandsons.net/outfeed-ass...rt-3-the-tour/ but with more dog holes and incorporating a shop vac and airfeed into the tool tray like the one shown here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3ftPyUDZqw&t=330s
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I "generally" use my workbench for assembly, but also employ additional surfaces if that works better for a given project. When I had my cabinet saw, I did have a large outfeed table that conceivably could be used for assembly, but the downside of that is it makes the saw unusable for routine work or, um...emergency error correction. What I think is really important to try and accomodate is having multiple heights available for assembly work so you can choose the best height for the project...and your back...to do the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would miss my workbench if I didn't have one, mostly because it has a vise which stretches across one end with dog holes in the bench top itself lined up so that I can hold various length pieces.

You can probably accomplish the multi-use concept by making a workbench that is the same height as your table saw for an outfeed table. If you make sure the bench top is flat (not like me; must still do that), it will work well as an assembly table also. I built 2 boxes installed under the bench which hold either drawers or cabinets for storage. If you make the bench mobile you can move it around; out of the way, near the table saw or band saw; where ever. I also built my bench higher than the standard height for comfort, but it can also match your various tool heights for use in combination with them.

For me, a bench like that is more useful. It's a true bench when needed, provides storage, and can be moved as needed.

Blog Entries
    I used to use my workbench for a lot of smaller assembly work. Built this:

TS-Outfeed (37).jpgTS-Outfeed (38).jpg

and do a lot less assembly at the bench. The assembly surface accepts dogs and all sorts of clamping options. I have added a vise to one side since these pics. I would not want to do without a proper bench but, the assembly/outfeed table/drawer unit is very handy. I also use adjustable saw horses and torsion beams for large work:

Beam Explode.jpgMedia Cabinet (153).jpg

I made them in 3 and 5 foot lengths which so far has been about right.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Besides a small cabinetmakers workbench I have a 48" x 96" assembly table/work bench (that also functions as an outfeed table to two table saws) plus another ~36" x 84" outfeed table (for another table saw) that also functions as an assembly table/workbench (with vise).

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I contemplated much the same and in the process of designing my workbench, I came to the conclusion that an assembly table design would suit my needs better. While I have a 30' x 40' x 10'h workshop, my woodworking space is arranged in a more compact area to limit the amount of roaming around I need to do while working.

My work surface is 4' x 8' and the height is just below my table saw (and anticipated future upgraded table saw) to serve as an outfeed area. A 30" x 30" drop down section serves as a spot for my oscillating spindle / belt sander, portable router table and scroll saw, and is located across from my bandsaw for easy transition from cutting to sanding. It is constructed of 2x6 lumber for mass and the top has two layers of 3/4" plywood with a hardboard top for easy replacement when overly worn.

The next step will be to finish the area beneath the work surface and I will be installing a combination of shelving for power tools and drawers for various handtools and other woodworking items. My primary dust collection is a shop vac with a Dust Deputy which works well for the sander, router and scroll saw that I hook up when needed. In the future (and when the budget allows), I would like to add a larger dust collection system (1,100+ cfm) for my other equipment which will be plumbed in and I may run a flexible hose to the table saw when needed. I also plan on running power to the work area via a conduit on the floor, which will nest between the anti-fatigue floor mats to remove any tripping hazard. I may also add a vice clamp or two but at the present it hasn't been a priority.

Bench 1a.jpg Bench 2a.jpg

I have a bench (record face vise and has replaceable top) and an outfeed table (it uses kreg track). My next build will be an assembly table that is much lower than the other two. Tall parts on the bench and outfeed are too tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I "generally" use my workbench for assembly, but also employ additional surfaces if that works better for a given project. When I had my cabinet saw, I did have a large outfeed table that conceivably could be used for assembly, but the downside of that is it makes the saw unusable for routine work or, um...emergency error correction. What I think is really important to try and accomodate is having multiple heights available for assembly work so you can choose the best height for the project...and your back...to do the work.
    That is my biggest concern with this approach. But I already have a small workbench I bought from Lowes several years ago. It has two vises and a tool tray. But in my small area I don't have much room for keeping everything separate.

I think I'll benefit more by having an assembly table with storage underneath it for various tools. It would work for an outfeed table as well as assembly. Other tools would be on rolling stands and get rolled out into the driveway when needed. I can stack things but I can't spread out with my available space.

I just need to figure out which features I want in it.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

Small shop dynamics require us to plan our activities when we need to share workspaces with material flow. That's not a horrible thing since good planning can only help our projects.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Small shop dynamics require us to plan our activities when we need to share workspaces with material flow. That's not a horrible thing since good planning can only help our projects.
    Agreed. I generally plan and research too much. Need to spend more time executing.
    Marshall
    A Stickley fan boy.

I got into woodworking in early 2017 and spent a good chunk of last year setting up a shop in my two car garage. I needed an assembly table and I needed an outfeed table so I built this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CoS6lzsmOQ

I tried to plan out the perfect able but realized I'd never get it done if I tried to get it perfect so I ended up going simple. It's worked well as an assembly surface and an outfeed table but it's pretty bare bones. I really wish I had planned to put in a vise or some type of clamping system. I dont do a lot, or really any, hand tool work yet so I dont need a traditional workbench but after using this for almost a year I am pretty sure I will build one soon. I like being able to use one table both for assembly and outfeed but there have already been many times that my table is full of stuff and I need to make a few cuts on my table saw so that gets a little annoying.

In short, I am glad I made the table and it's worked well but I am already thinking of going another direction. That's fine, as I made this knowing it wouldnt work forever but it has illustrated that I should think of things iteratively rather than trying to come up with the best solution out of the gate.

I couldn't find any benefit to a traditional workbench. I made a bench/outfeed from a set of Kreg bench legs and three layers of 3/4" MDF with a melamine-type top. The top two layers can be replaced if damaged, the bottom two are glued. It's dead flat and absorbs impact/vibration better than wood. I use it for working on things, assembly, and outfeed. Combining it with the TS lets me also use the TS surface if needed. I'm pretty happy with it and can't imagine what I'd change. I recently added some Kreg clamp mounts and a track near the end with the vise.

IMG_1168.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrison View Post
    Agreed. I generally plan and research too much. Need to spend more time executing.
    This is more of establishing "process" and workflow. Try to envision how you move through a project and what you may or may not need to change if you implement the solution you are considering.
    --