Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

21 May 2018

Greetings,
    Good news....I come off of oncall duty in 20 minutes! It was a busy but not crazy weekend for work. Just glad to be done. The daughter and SIL sold their house, we got all the repairs done and got all the things moved out of their house as of late yesterday afternoon. They are now in an apartment for a while until they decide to get their house started. Typical yard work and trying to get conditioned to the heat and humidity again. I love spring and fall and even winter....but summer is one time of the year that I am not in "love" with.
    I'm really tired today and I hope to have some time this coming weekend to "recover".

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

It was a very rainy week here so some things were predicated on dancing around that...such as mowing the field, err...lawn...which I'm still having to cut at max height (about 5.5") for the moment. The grass is loving it, however, and I may stay at 4" this year, rather than the 3.5" I've been mowing it for along time now. It's lush and green.

Other accomplishments included cleaning up some of the loose stone along the new paved driveway in preparation for other finishing touches, making and finished a few small parts needed to fully complete the install of our new upper kitchen cabinets, making a few small signs on the CNC as part of my learning process, lots of paperwork and phone calls relative to settling things for my mother after my father's death, completing more paperwork for the business, getting back to cooking after having done so much travel and a few other things. Lastly, I made and installed the 8' long threshold for a friend's home that goes between their new kitchen and their existing great room. This is the same friend that I was commissioned to do the "kitchen continent" project a few months back. There was a 25mm/1" heigh difference between the two spaces so this exercise required making a tapered threshold to span the gap with appropriate structure under it to support. Corner blocks were also provided to transition between the two types of base molding (with a different heights) and carefully fitted. The friend started finishing this last night so it would be done by the time of their Memorial Day BBQ next weekend. It's not very exciting to look at unfinished, but will blend in very nicely once it's stained and slathered with the urethane floor finish my friend will be applying.

IMG_0935.jpg IMG_0930.jpg IMG_0931.jpg IMG_0932.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It rained every day last week so I had to work around that. Spent some time cleaning up the jointer but that was about all I did in the shop.

Supposed to rain more this week at least through Wednesday.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

I took the day off Friday to pick up some door prizes for our off-road club's exhibition on Saturday. After I picked them up, I did a great of upsetting the neighbors... I was making some brackets for my Jeep and had the compressor going to use a cut off wheel, along with the hand-held grinder. They were out planting some trees along their lot line, (right behind my outbuilding) and had a radio going. Apparently they got mad about the noise I was making, so they turned their radio up to 11. So loud my fiance was able to listen to it inside our house. Since I had earplugs in, I never heard their radio. She came out and told me to see if I could make some more noise... Yea, we don't get along with them too well. He is the one contacting the HOA about any little thing, so it kind of rolls off my back. BTW, I AM aware of the time when I am working late and do not run the compressor and grinder after 7:30 or 8:00 as they have young children.

Saturday was our exhibition with a pretty good turnout. Little bit of a truck show and a raffle to try to get some new members and raise a bit of money for some local charities. This year we even had a band. So far we broke even, but still have a couple of donations to collect.

Yesterday, I got out into the garage to get everything arranged properly, and put things away from Saturday. I found a nice little block of oak from a pallet in a box of firewood, so I tried my hand at making a mallet out of it. Actually got one done, and the head of a second one done before it warmed up a bit. Then I went outside to plant three maple trees we bought.

It sure was a weekend for minor injuries, though. I had a small piece of steel fall on my chest Friday and I picked up a steel sliver somehow. Yesterday I nicked myself with a chisel a couple of times. And today I noticed another cut on my arm. Nothing even close to major, but still... Glad to get back to work.

I have completed the work up to building the drawers on the apothecary chest.

The weekend's progress is here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....chest-part-six

Regards from Perth

Derek

The new deck is up. I didn't build it but I got to watch and make helpful suggestions. ("That's sloppy, do it again and do it right. Turn that board around so the pith isn't exposed. Look, you're off 1/4" here. Move that post 2" so it lines up properly with the lower deck. That beam is supposed to be tripled - look at the plans again. No you can't have the leftover screws.") I'm sure the crew appreciated my help. I also cut and pre-drilled a big pile of 2x2 spindles/balusters - I calculate 263 needed and I decided to do the railings myself to make sure they are the way I want them.

The brick is laid for the new entrance porch. Same issue with those workers, I hate to have to supervise every minute to get straight courses and square corners.

Sun room is mostly done and windows and doors installed. That guy is good. And he didn't complain at all when I wanted to install the locksets/deadbolts myself.

Wish it was all done today. It sure is quicker not doing all the work myself but I have to watch everything to get it done right the first time. Are most work crews like that these days?

Finally repaired the big mower after getting 2 weeks behind on the mowing.

Rescued a couple of llamas from a wrecked transport vehicle. Llamas and driver were OK.

JKJ

I went out with the Scout troop to cut pioneering poles, and picked up a cedar post too thick for them, so it will be turned into a couple of rolling pins sometime this summer.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Found out my beloved foster son's (with us for all but 2 weeks of his life, he's 11) birth mother may be planning to try and remove the custody order, and take him to his band way up north. He's never been there.
    Ruined everything because of worry.
    Screwed up my timber-framing of my new garbage enclosure gate.
    Life'll get better/
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Aaron, I'm very sad to read that and hope that you can get a resolution in your favor. As an adoptive parent, I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing and I have a good friend up your way who has a very large family with both bio, adopted and foster kids, including indigenous peoples.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I posted this in the "Projects" forum, but thought I'd put it here, too. I finished my first table over the weekend! Now I just need to make matching benches and the patio furniture will be done. I would've liked to use mortise & tenon instead of pocket holes, but I have no idea how to make them and not sure how I would use them on two faces of the 4x4 posts. I've been reading up on them, but feel like I need someone right there with me.

Table 1.jpg

Table 2.jpg