Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Throat plate differences. Infinity one worth it?

Sawstop Throat plate differences. Infinity one worth it?

These are the throat plates that came with my
    Used Sawstop. The locking one is on now.

Is it correct that the black ones are the old style? I don’t think I can use them and the red locking one as they are all adjusted differently.

Is that $99 from Infinity worth it? With the removable inserts?

How does a bevel cut work? I’d have to keep one for 45 cuts only?

I have a 15% rockler coupon and though for $75 it might be worth it since they come with 2 inserts.

Make sure you get the right one as they seem to offer two ZCIs or have two different product numbers. Just check with them or double check the web info. before ordering yours. I know another SawStop user who had mixed up his order info.

He liked the Infinity ZCI and has ordered additional inserts since.

Simon

That depends on how many different width cuts you want to do. I have bought two sawstop throat plates. The original that came with the saw is for bevel and straight cuts, the others are for my most common dado cuts. I got these for a good price when I bought my saw. Well under what infinity cost

If you have more than that then the infinity one is better value

Also, I was going to buy another for true, no tear out, ZC on straight cuts but then I loose efficient below the table dust collection. The original provides a good balance.
    Last edited by Johnny Barr; 05-21-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    I just refresh my insert with epoxy whenever I have leftovers. Sometimes on purpose. Put packing tape on the top to give you a smooth backer for the slot, drizzle epoxy into the front 1/3 of the ZCI and let set, peel off the tape and re-cut.

ZCI repair (1).jpg . ZCI repair (4).jpg

You can see by the first pic that mine has had this done a few times. It could be more often but, sometimes I don't have enough epoxy leftovers and sometimes I just don't think about it.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-21-2018 at 8:47 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I just refresh my insert with epoxy whenever I have leftovers. Sometimes on purpose. Put packing tape on the top to give you a smooth backer for the slot, drizzle epoxy into the front 1/3 of the ZCI and let set, peel off the tape and re-cut.
    Hey Glen, this is really cool. Which epoxy do you use? (there's only about 500 different kinds )

i have the zc infinity (with the slide in inserts) for the sawstop and think it is worth the $$ - but i do a lot close work with veneers on the saw. you would have to use different inserts for zc for different angle cuts
    jerry
    jerry

I have the Infinity Tools zero clearance insert (ZCI) on my 2 year old SawStop ICS. At that time, the Infinity ZCI was the only game in town. Also bought extra inserts to have on hand for does and various other blades. I bought it as I am believer in the value of a ZCI.

Instructions are on the Infinity web page under "documents".

Leveling it to the ICS top was no problem, but if you change back to the SawStop insert, you must re-level the SawStop throat insert.

https://www.infinitytools.com/saw-bl...th-two-inserts

The one from Rockler is labeled as the "Colliflower ZCI." I wonder if it is a knock off of the Infinity or if there is something different about it?

http://www.rockler.com/colliflower-z...top-table-saws

I feel Infinity’s ZCI throat plates AND inserts for the plates need some production work. I tried to use the throat plate, and found it does not seat at the front properly, even with several attempts at adjusting the Sawstop leveling screws and the ZCI leveling screws.

I also found that many on the inserts would need better trimming in order to not protrude beyond the ZCI plate at the front (outfeed end of saw).

Thirdly, when raising the saw blade to cut through an insert, the entire plate is pushed up, even if the saw fence is positioned to hold the plate down. Clamping a board to the non-fence side doesn’t help, and raising the blade to cut through seems to take inordinate pressure.

Perhaps I’m way off base here; lots of folks appear to have had success. But after significant time trying to make my purchase worthwhile, I requested a return authorization from Infinity. I spent over $130 with them for the plate and two packages of inserts. Better choice: Use the original plate for regular cuts, then for $90 you can buy two additional OEM throat plates... one for 45° and one for your most common dado width.

Blog Entries
    I made my own ZC throat plate one I got a look at an Infinity. I started with a dado sawstop plate and used a router. I used a straight bit for most of it and then undercut with a dovetail bit. I made my own inserts using hard maple and the same dovetail bit.

then somebody gave me the infinity And that’s what I use.

Ive got one and like it. For $75 Id say its definitely worth it. Start adding up how many different width blade/dado stacks you might use and youll easily run up to more than that in SawStop inserts if you wanted a specific insert for every size. Which is what you can do with the Infinity insert.

Interestingly enough I did not have any of the issues Tom above mentioned, but I did buy my insert years ago when they first came out and I know there have been several changes to the design over the years.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I dropped my Sawstop throat plate while changing it and it cracked.

Wasn't sure whether CA glue would hold it, so had the choice of buying another Sawstop of trying the Infinity.

So I went with the Infinity. Works as advertised and is easy to change the inserts for different blades.

So far I'm happy with the product.

When I first got the Infinity I was frustrated with a similar experience to the OP. I was in the middle of a project and put it aside. Well, the factory insert eventually chipped and cracked enough to make it a problem, back to the Infinity.

I couldn’t get my blade to lower far enough to put the Infinity on and cut through the insert. It was time anyhow so I did a good cleaning and maintenance of the Sawstop. Once I did that the Infinity fit just fine. I read the directions to level it which was easy and as expected. Used the fence to cover the plate and cut through no issue. I’m not sure how you saw is having difficulty or resistance cutting through the insert material? Even if it isn’t flush or whatever it should go through that 1/4” material like nothing?

Cleaning definitely cured the problem getting the Infinity to seat properly and adjustment was a breeze. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Since we're bringing this thread back to life I can contribute my current status. My standard Saw Stop plate with the wide slot is my general use plate. A ZCI for 90 is in my arsenal as well. I picked up this one on clearance (forget the brand) and can make my own inserts from scrap.

SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (1).jpg . SawStop-Shop-made-ZCI-Inserts (9).jpg

It works great for odd bevel angels where I ALSO require a ZCI. Since I make the inserts from scrap I can use them with abandon.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thanks, that is a cool idea. I will try that on mine.

The throat plate that Infinity sells is the Colliflower. At least that is what I bought from them. Mine fits the saw snugly and works well. I do not love the wood inserts, they are mdf with what appears to be melamine faces. They work OK but the design is such that there is very little of the insert left at the front and we know how weak mdf is. But the simple solution is to make some replacements of plywood or solid wood. Doesn't take long. The main body is a sturdy aluminum casting. There are screw adjustments to get it to the right height and make it snug so it does not ride up. The opening is wide enough you can use a dado stack with it. My only issue is the fragile mdf inserts. I wish the aluminum casting allowed a little more wood to remain in the front. But it works fine.