Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another brilliant mistake

Another brilliant mistake

So despite being methodical about emptying the bag on my Oneida mini gorilla (the 1.5 hp cyclone unit), I managed to fill the entire filter with chips and dust today. Which of course I didn’t notice until the air flow dropped dramatically. I emptied the filter and tried to do the cleaning protocol (shop vac at the bottom while blowing air through the filter from the outside) and got a ton of crap out and my flow is back to good and usable. Am I screwed though? Should I buy a replacement cartridge or just spend a day cleaning this thing? Please advise me.

There's no reason to replace the filter...cleaning it out is a royal pain in the posterior but you'll get there. It often takes multiple iterations when a filter gets "impacted" by this issue (either over filling the bin or a leak) just because of all the nooks and crannies.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is it insane or acceptable practice to remove the filter and use my shopvac on the inside? Or will I hurt it?

I have removed the filter element and stood on end and then used compressed air to back flow the pleats with a board across open top. The small volume of high velocity air will blow off the dust and the volume of air is easily passed out the filter surface and the free dust/particles allowed to fall to bottom. It also helps to use a soft brush (like bench brush) inside to knock off a lot of the dust prior to backflow. Cleaning a filter will make you a lot more alert to avoiding the error, but it does happen - DAMHIK.

Two words; leaf blower. I take my Oneida filter outside as needed (preferrably on a windy day) and have at it with an electric leaf blower. Not the funnest project but it gets the filter clean.

This is brilliant. I am doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Two words; leaf blower.
    +1 on this....but messy.

I have done this too. It does work but don't be too vigorous with the leaf blower. Wynn Environmental has some good suggestions for the maximum forces allowed. It does make a surprisingly big mess of dust blowing around so if you have neighbors close by they may object to all the dust coming their way. The dust you blow out may also reduce the efficiency of your filters for a little while, but that is expected.

Blog Entries
    I've tanked my cyclone filter twice. For me (could be my age and the position required) it is easier to pull the cartridge, lay it on the bench and use a vac, wand and brush head to vacuum the inside surface. I do just run the scrubber and tap the filter frame to get the worst of it BEFORE I remove the cartridge ;-) I had the same thought as you the first time it happened. I was over it the second time and cut a window into my barrel that helps . . . when I look at it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    So despite being methodical about emptying the bag on my Oneida mini gorilla (the 1.5 hp cyclone unit), I managed to fill the entire filter with chips and dust today. ...
    Perhaps consider a bin-full sensor? My ClearVue has a visible/audible alarm and cuts the power to the contactor when the bin is full. Nice since the cyclone is in a closet out of sight, but (knock on bubinga) somehow I check it enough so it hasn't filled yet. (A partially filled bin is easier to move and empty!)

JKJ

I built a bin level sensor for around $50...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTf_FnCkj80

Don't feel bad. Some idiot let all eight of these back up all the way to the fan. It happens to us all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, that appears to be worse than my predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Don't feel bad. Some idiot let all eight of these back up all the way to the fan. It happens to us all.

I'm not familiar with the mini gorilla, but if it has a pan under the filter like the super gorilla does, there is an easier way. Leave the filter on, open the bottom over a bag and catch the chips that fall out by gently thumping on the filter. When that stops, put the cap back on and blow the filter out with compressed air from the outside. The dust falls down and can then be dumped with a removal of the cap again. Might take several times, but very little mess and as the filter stays on, less chance of putting a hole in it.

I wash mine with water from the garden hose once per year..............Rod.