Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another brilliant mistake

I have the regular dust deputy on my shopvac and little if anything gets by that. It’s pretty impressive. I understand the physics of the short cyclones on these larger dust collectors, fine dust gets by. Is there a practical downside to piping a second dust deputy in line with the mini gorilla? I read a thread where someone with Jet short cyclone did that and solved the fine dust issue. It defeats the portability a bit but it’s cheaper than buying a bigger cyclone unit for a permanent install. At least delays that a while?

Each piece of a dust collection system adds resistance to the airflow, whether more piping, hoses et cetera, reducing the ability of the system to suck the dust. So adding a second cyclone will have the same effect and add yet again more resistance and slow down the flow. That would mean less air drawn at the machine and may even make the first cyclone less efficient because the air moving through it is slower than it was designed for.

I figured this was the case. I’m toying with the idea of an old 3 hp dust collector mated to a super dust deputy XL, piped directly through the wall to the outside with no filter. I’m not terribly close to neighbors so that might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Each piece of a dust collection system adds resistance to the airflow, whether more piping, hoses et cetera, reducing the ability of the system to suck the dust. So adding a second cyclone will have the same effect and add yet again more resistance and slow down the flow. That would mean less air drawn at the machine and may even make the first cyclone less efficient because the air moving through it is slower than it was designed for.

I agree with Peter. And I actually have exactly what you describe, which I recently built (a few months ago). It works great, and with the covers on mine there is no visible dust leaving the machine. I'm sure there's invisible dust, but don't think that's any issue outdoors. I am VERY happy with how it all works. The noise level inside the shop is very low. You can simply have normal conversations. You know it's on, but it's not overbearing like my previous DC inside the shop (Powermatic 3HP twin cartridge).

IMG_1032.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

I have my 3hp cyclone vented outside, and it works pretty well, but when you run the barrel over and don't notice, you just blow everything outside. And When running my wide belt sander, there is noticeable dust blowing away from the outlet.

I built an inexpensive barrel full detector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTf_FnCkj80

Blog Entries
    Leaf blower after tapping it out before removing it.
    NOW you tell me...