Thread: Interesting Way To Repair a Plane Iron

Interesting Way To Repair a Plane Iron

Had to share this:
    I recently picked up a No 6 and and as I was cleaning it up.... a large corner of the iron fell off. I looked a little closer and saw that someone had actually glued the corner on If you look at the pics you can see the glue hanging off of "joint". I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they thought the plane would sell better if a large corner wasn't missing from the iron and that they weren't really planning to use it in that condition? Anyway I got the plane for a good price and I can grind the iron back. It was just a "new idea" on how to fix a plane iron for me....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark R Webster; 05-20-2018 at 9:38 PM.

Wow, just when you think you've seen it all ...

Blog Entries
    Maybe someone was taking some thick shavings and hit a nail.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I hear that Stanley is good about warranty claims.

Lol. Similar to another one that I heard about... A fellow I know cleaned off a "new to him" chisel by soaking it over night in vinegar.... It came out in 2 pieces. His comment was "It was all covered in that area with a really thick layer of this black tarry looking stuff.. I thought it was the typical somebody used a chisel to scrape roof tar..."

Maybe misunderstood the exact meaning of the term, "superglue."

I would buy a replacement. The reason is.... If it broke off. The temper is really off. Too hard. Not worth messing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I would buy a replacement. The reason is.... If it broke off. The temper is really off. Too hard. Not worth messing with it.
    It can be re-hardened and tempered.
    -Lud

Reminds me of the time I picked up a Low Knob #5 at an antique shop years ago. The dealer used a piece of tape wrapped around the tote holding the price tag to conceal a poorly repaired crack.

I was at the same shop earlier this year and the same dealer had a number of "optimistically" priced planes. Included were two #2 Stanleys alleged to be from the Sweetheart era. Scrutiny revealed they were Frankenplanes, and poor examples at that. The frogs fit so poorly there's no way the planes could have been set up to work properly. They had Sweetheart irons. A bargain at $200+ for each.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Your telling me that Gorilla glue doesn't fix everything?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for all the replies!! Some funny and some interesting