Our client bought a beautiful, 150 year old farm house with a number of acres, a large work shed, a pond, a silo, etc. They wanted the very best farm house kitchen design she could find. Their ‘new’ place was wonderfully ancient, with post and beam construction but not a single floor in the house was flat (much less level / LOL). We ended up rebuilding their master bath, installed cabinets in their pantry and completely re-did this kitchen I’m writing about.
She had good taste (my opinion) and liked the look of the cabinetry on our website. She sent me a few pictures of cabinetry from a vintage cabinet shop in England. They were doing authentic, century old reproduction furniture. The look was perfectly understated. We used a few of their details but more importantly, she conveyed the kind of look she was attracted to… and we came up with this kitchen design….
These next three shots are a rough sketch of the floor plan and two renderings for the face views. You’ll notice there are no wall cabinets…

Here are two-close ups of the doors & drawer fronts. The tall drawer fronts I made as frame and panel but the shorter ones were made as slabs with a bead running along the top and bottom edge. I also increased the door frame widths to make them closer to a older, more authentic look.

Here is the two-faced island… back and front…

Finally, a left and right wide shot…. The kitchen is too large to photograph it all in a single master shot. In the first picture you can also see the cabinets we built in the pantry (room in the back )

I really love old, vintage woodwork and so glad a client was looking for just that look.

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.