Thread: Opinions requested on cabinet sink top material

Opinions requested on cabinet sink top material

I'm on the downside of my laundry room remodel which includes one base cabinet with a utility sink. I have the cabinet built already but not the top which I intend to laminate with some leftover formica already on hand.

On past kitchen remodels I've always purchased the formed countertops and then cut out the hole for the sink. But even to use a piece of solid material like MDF on this cabinet top which is 35" wide by 30" deep it seems like quite a waste to cut more than half the material out for the sink hole.

I have some white oak in stock and thought about making the top like a cabinet face frame, gluing the formica on and then only having to cut the hole in the formica and route a profile on the front edge. My only concern is whether there would be a problem with expansion/contraction of the white oak relative to the stable formica. The 4 pieces that would make up the top would be 2, 2 1/2, 6 1/2 and 9 1/2 inches in width (the sink would not be centered in the cabinet).

If the white oak poses a problem perhaps you can suggest a good material to use instead.

The frame idea is a good one but I would not be confident in laminate on white oak. Why not make the frame from MDF or the particle board normally used for counter tops?

Blog Entries
    I agree with Dave, use MDF or plywood to build your frame with an opening just smaller than your sink cut out needs to be..
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Use a water resistant sheet material. It's a waste of white oak. Keep the cut out to make a jig out of or something. No laminate tops are solid timber. Sometimes they are blockboard but ply is best. Cheers

Thanks for your answers. I did find a piece of exterior grade plywood in my stock and I'll use that. But I will be gluing a small piece of maple on the front edge to route a finished profile after the laminate is glued on.