Thread: Saw blade arbor issue - SawStop

Saw blade arbor issue - SawStop

I just recently purchased a SawStop PCS and have only used with a standard blade for the few weeks I've had it.

Last week I purchased the Ridge Carbide Dado Master and went to use it for the first time today but I'm having a problem - the first blade goes on the arbor just fine, but none of the chippers or the other outside blade will fit over the arbor after the first 1/8" or so. It's so tight that it just binds.

Eyeballing the arbor hole on the blades and they seem a whisker smaller than the stock blade I was using, but clearly it's enough to create a problem.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Am I doing something wrong or is it a manufacturing issue with the blades? It just seems odd that 7 of the 8 blades the set would have this issue - I've only heard good things about Ridge Carbide blades.

If I need to exchange the blades, is it better to go through Ridge Carbide directly or Woodpeckers, where I bought them. I just don't want to end up out money for shipping due to a manufacturing issue and I've never dealt with either company in anyway prior to this purchase so I'm unfamiliar with their customer service.

I would call Ridge Carbide direct and explain the situation to them. You most likely will receive a faster solution to the problem.

My Freud Dado set was tight on my Sawstop PCS. I used some 80 grit on the inside of the holes (quick/light passes) and it solved the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    My Freud Dado set was tight on my Sawstop PCS. I used some 80 grit on the inside of the holes (quick/light passes) and it solved the problem.
    Is there any issue with the arbor hole getting out of round if I do that?

It depends on how much adjustment needs to be done. Typically when boring a dado, the blades and chippers need to be resharpened so the bottom is flat. I'd measure the bores with a dial and call Ridge. If they redo, they should also retip the teeth to ensure a flat bottom cut. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Britten View Post
    Is there any issue with the arbor hole getting out of round if I do that?
    Not much--there is a chance there is small burr on them or some flash that is causing the problem

I'll go against the tide here. A couple of years ago I bought a Ridge Carbide blade through Woodpeckers. There was a problem with it, so I emailed WP. I quickly received a reply from them, saying that Ridge Carbide would be contacting me. It took a couple of days, but they did call and eventually sent me a new blade which, IMO, wasn't much better than the first.

I know Ridge is very popular here, but I'm not a fan. You should not be expected to sand out the arbor hole on a new blade.

I took a very light pass with some 60 grit sandpaper until it just fit on the arbor. Everything seems to fit now, but for the expense of this set, it's disappointing.

Another question regarding the dado blades - when I put the 4 1/8" chippers in, it seems to be cutting 1/32" wider than 3/4". Also seems to be 1/64" wide of the 1/4" measurement with no chippers/just the outside blades. Should I not be expecting accuracy closer than that from a dado set?

Just responding so that I am notified of responses..... I have never bothered to measure to see how wide I am really cutting.... translation, I almost always make two cuts to finish my dados, but, I make so few of them that this takes less time than shimming them to be precise. I can for sure, however see this as a problem if cutting with just one edge blade that is supposed to be the correct width. I am curious about that. Have you measured the size of each tooth? If those are right on, then it might have to do with the blade wobbling (caused by the blade or the saw).