Thread: Gizy 1023 lubing gears

Gizy 1023 lubing gears

It’s been getting increasingly harder to raise my saw blade on my griz 1023 table saw. I assume I need to get in there and clean it out real good.

Do Others find you have to remove the table top to do this periodic maintenance? If i remember correctly it took me a while to get them flush during the original install so I’d like to prevent that if possible.

If not I’m not sure how to get to those gears...

It’s easier to get in there and clean and lube with the top off, but then you have to deal with realigning everything. I reach in through the blade opening (blade off of course!) and can do most everything quite well.

How far will compressed air get you? That doesn't require any disassembly and provides an excuse to get an air compressor if you need one. For lube I used 'spray teflon' the last time - a few years ago - and so far so good.

Thanks for the suggestions. Stupid question but is the gears for raising / lowering the blade pretty obvious? I haven’t dug in too deeply yet with a flash light but when I peered in I didn’t see gears...I’d much rather keep the table attached...

Blog Entries
    It looks like you have a segment gear on the raise and tilt and a lead screw. You can use just about any dry lubricant such as the teflon spray already mentioned of the dry chain lube used for bicycle chains. Some folks use paste wax. A wet type lube such as oil or grease will collect sawdust. While you are in the saw check the stops for each direction of motion for compacted sawdust. Don't forget to lube the pivots on bot axis. Check the motor for oil ports on each end above the bearing. If your motor has them a few drops of light machine oil into the hole should be sufficient.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rosner View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. Stupid question but is the gears for raising / lowering the blade pretty obvious? I haven’t dug in too deeply yet with a flash light but when I peered in I didn’t see gears...I’d much rather keep the table attached...
    Certainly it's better to not remove the top but removing the top is not a huge deal. There are 4 stud bolts holding the center section of the top. The thing to be aware of is that there are typically spacers between those stud bolts and the top. Make sure those spacers are kept in the same places.

True Curt, but aligning it is a job in itself. It would however be a good excuse to learn how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    True Curt, but aligning it is a job in itself. It would however be a good excuse to learn how to do it.
    If you know how to check miter slot to blade alignment you're most of the way there. That's part of Table Saw Maintenance 101. Unisaw-style table saws are pretty simple beasts, the only tricky part for me is the adjustment for parallel miter slot/blade at both 90o and 45o. That's where the spacers (washers) between the cabinet and top come into play.