Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chisel back prep - old vs new alloy steels

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I always wondered about that one Joel. Many chisels back then were laminated. Not much choice which way you grind the bevel.
    On this forum "traditional" practice can mean a lot of different things. Toward the end of the 18th century the toolmakers had trouble welding cast steel to the wrought iron so chisels started being made without the lamination, and there has probably been some production of chisels without lamination ever since. For myself I would hesitate to call something traditional that did not span the 18th century.

I have not seen documentation of the technique Joel mentions (forming the entire bevel after heat treatment). It seems to me that if one were to grind after hardening that it might be easier to grind the back slightly hollow than to grind the bevel. I also think that a craftsman who was making 3000 chisels or more a year might find a way to reduce unfavorable warping during heat treatment.

It makes a big difference if one is going to buy a new set of chisels every year or if he aiming for a lifetime of use. I have some chisels that I brought into service 40 and 50 years ago. Whatever time I spent getting them into service is long forgotten.

Took about an hour...reverse camber is gone, 25 degree bevel was hollow ground...
    .IMG_4600 (640x480).jpg
    Back WAS flat, other than a bevel right on the edge....had a serious back bevel..HAD
    IMG_4601 (640x480).jpg
    Still needs a little work, I prefer the bevels to be flat.
    IMG_4602 (640x480).jpg
    Cuts nicely, bevel up or down...
    IMG_4603 (640x480).jpg
    Just a $2 chisel.

This other "chisel" was in a large tub, filled with tools....
    IMG_4609 (640x480).jpg
    No. 175, 1-1/4", Made by Crescent Tool Co. , Jamestown, NY.

I did clean up the mushroom on it..
    IMG_4613 (640x480).jpg
    But that 40+ degree bevel will take a LOT of work..
    IMG_4614 (640x480).jpg
    Almost like it was used as a Cold chisel? Gasket scraper? Will do a bit of research on this "gem"...back was flat, BTW...

Blog Entries
    Will do a bit of research on this "gem"...
    There is one of those in a drawer out in the shop. Here is a clip from an old Crescent Tools Catalog:

Crescent Chisel.png

Mine is a 1".

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Would like to find out what angle to do the bevel at...40-45 is a tad too steep....

May start a sharpening thread on this style of chisel? Plumbers' and Electricians' Chisels...

Doubt IF these were made with a skew edge.....

Gave the chisel a 35 degree bevel. These chisels were hardened through out, by Crescent Tool Co.

Back was almost flat...gave it a bit extra.
    flattened.jpg
    Not a biggie. Some Plumber had hit the side a long time ago....has a dent just back from the edge.
    Edge was sharpened to 2K grit, then stropped..
    fine stuff.jpg
    A single, flat bevel. Nothing fancy, nor complicated. NOT a paring chisel, this one is for chopping....and, driven by a steel hammer.
    bevel down new paint.jpg
    May keep it in the Household Tool Kit...