Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clico mortising bits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heath View Post
    Jack,

I'm well aware of the process. I should have clarified my post, being that different chisel makers used different effective angles, which is why we all know that the diamond cones available at Lee Valley are not good for Greenlee and Forest City square mortising chisels. Even the drill bits contained within are different types, and are not interchangeable.

I have access to a Greenlee 720, which is the hone for their, and the Forest City, chisels. Obviously, the hones and cones do not take care of the corners. With a little "outside the box" thinking, an 1/8" piece of hardwood can be shaped and covered with varying grits of scary sharp paper to sharpen and hone, to a mirror polish, the inside corners of the chisels. For those who haven't had the opportunity to use a chisel mortiser, the fine tuning and polishing of the inside of the square chisels is every bit as important as the outside. It makes the machine a pleasure to use, and does a very fine job of cutting clean mortises. Without that, you will burn up chisels and bits quickly. Since Greenlee and Forest City are no longer manufacturing these tools, there will be an ever shrinking supply of tooling available, so it's important to know how to take care of your tooling.

I have a full set of Greenlee and Forest City tooling for my Oliver 91D, with several back-ups in each side. I take special care to sharpen them well so I do not burn them up. When they're gone, they're gone.......

I didn't feel it necessary to go into such detail in my previous post.

For those who do not know, this is a Greenlee 720. It's sole purpose in life is to sharpen and hone mortising chisels.

Attachment 386175

This 720 belongs to a friend of mine. They are made of unobtainium, and if you ever find one in the wild, they are worth more than gold.

Thomas White of Paisley made one Jeff so there not that rare

white_zpsed6fb1f8.jpg

interesting that both the Greenlee and the White have the double angle cutters

flatbottom_zpscc0cdb8d.jpg

and look at this Jeff a chisel for the CNC boys

agfchiselc.jpg

as a treat here is a video of the Cliico factory the last British pattern maker to go down world wide . Makers of the Clifton planes too

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...et2012.php?v=v
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 05-21-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    you can save your self the trouble of making a wooden cone by just shaping a die stone like this on the IG feed

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqHbn5n...nglishmachines
    I'm more in the necessity is the mother of invention camp, and this is how I manage my collection of old junk I have bought over the years. Start with a pink and move through a couple of finer ones, works for me. Dress to shape with a diamond dresser. And here I thought I was being all clever......

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I'm more in the necessity is the mother of invention camp, and this is how I manage my collection of old junk I have bought over the years. Start with a pink and move through a couple of finer ones, works for me. Dress to shape with a diamond dresser. And here I thought I was being all clever......
    diamond dressers are costly. I don’t know how long I’ve been using that one blade but that I used to shape all my grinding stones for grinding shaper /spindle moulder knives too . Cheap as chips
    jack
    English machines

I sent you a PM. I have that toolset and if you’re close by, drop by and sharpen up.