Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions for laptop for son as a college freshman?

I agree with Charlie re: you don't a cutting edge computer for college. And he is correct that the latest and greatest are soon depreciated & within a year the next generation comes out.

If he just needs the basics: internet browing, word processing you don't need much machine for that.

We have purchased several refurbished laptops over the years and had very good luck with them. Thats what I would recommend.

I have a MacBook and I would say be careful a lot of software is not compatible. For example, the music composition software my son needed in college would not run on his Macbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I agree with Charlie re: you don't a cutting edge computer for college.
    You can't say that. You don't know. What is the student studying, and what are their computing needs? That's like saying that nobody needs more than a chisel and plane to work with wood.

For example, the music composition software my son needed in college would not run on his Macbook.
    I am certain that it would. However maybe what you meant to say is that it wasn't obvious how, and he didn't research how to make it work.

Blog Entries
    The company I work for provides us with laptops every two years. We don't have Apple options. My best laptops have been ThinkPads. I'm using a Dell Latitude E7240 and it's a POS. Not recommended.

Note: I work remotely and bike commute to coffee shops / libraries / etc on a daily basis. I really beat up computers. Probably similar to college kids without the keg stands.

I agree, the ThinkPad business line is excellent. Their mid-high-end models are on par with Apple. They cost a little more, but also include some features the Apples don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    I agree, the ThinkPad business line is excellent. Their mid-high-end models are on par with Apple. They cost a little more, but also include some features the Apples don't.
    after IBM's involvement ended, some felt the build quality and keyboards (perhaps the best notebook keyboard out there) were no longer what they once were. They recently offered a sort of anniversary edition supposedly like the original. I will not have a notebook without the pointing stick and buttons and Thinkpads seem to have the best implementation.

If the college offers IT support, go with what they support unless your kid is capable of doing his/her own troubleshooting and maintenance. In MA the state schools offer a set of recommended computers pre-loaded with the required software carrying a four year warranty at deeply discounted prices. They are set up with appropriate anti-virus and backup software, with pre-installed links to the campus servers. Better, each campus has a walk-in center where they stock parts for those computers and can re-image the hard drive within a couple of hours should that become necessary.

Not getting those midnight calls "Dad my computer is broken and I can't find my term paper" is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    If the college offers IT support, go with what they support unless your kid is capable of doing his/her own troubleshooting and maintenance. In MA the state schools offer a set of recommended computers pre-loaded with the required software carrying a four year warranty at deeply discounted prices. They are set up with appropriate anti-virus and backup software, with pre-installed links to the campus servers. Better, each campus has a walk-in center where they stock parts for those computers and can re-image the hard drive within a couple of hours should that become necessary.

Not getting those midnight calls "Dad my computer is broken and I can't find my term paper" is priceless!
    Excellent advice. Also have a good backup plan - high capacity USB flash drives are cheap and online storage can be found for free in limited quantities. O.S. and apps are relatively easy to replace, user created data not so much.

Thanks for the valuable insight. We ended up going with a MacBook Air. It should serve him well for a while, we all have iPads and love them. He is more comfortable with Apple. We checked with the school at his orientation and it will be fine. I appreciate the advice from all of you.
    Thank You,
    Kevin

Does your machine have the butterfly keyboard switches? If so, you may want to look into some sort of extended support.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...board_failing/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._rubber_pants/

I'm not an Apple guy so am not well versed on Apple issues but this sounds like an expensive "oh crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    Thanks for the valuable insight. We ended up going with a MacBook Air. It should serve him well for a while, we all have iPads and love them. He is more comfortable with Apple. We checked with the school at his orientation and it will be fine. I appreciate the advice from all of you.
    Thank You,
    Kevin
    THat's a good choice. I helped my daughter buy a MBA when she was a sophomore in HS and she's now about to enter her sophomore year in college. I expect hers will easily last for the remaining three years of school with no issues. And it "just works".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Does your machine have the butterfly keyboard switches? If so, you may want to look into some sort of extended support.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...board_failing/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0..._rubber_pants/

I'm not an Apple guy so am not well versed on Apple issues but this sounds like an expensive "oh crap".
    LOL, apparently "The Register" is like our National Enquirer; lots of hyped language and no accuracy. Do they also report on people who see aliens, and chemtrails? But in any case, I'm pretty sure the Air has the old keyboard. I've had the new KB on my MacBook for about four years, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    LOL, apparently "The Register" is like our National Enquirer; lots of hyped language and no accuracy. Do they also report on people who see aliens, and chemtrails? But in any case, I'm pretty sure the Air has the old keyboard. I've had the new KB on my MacBook for about four years, love it.
    If so, so do Forbes
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...n-free-repair/

and business insider
    http://www.businessinsider.com/macbo...-patent-2018-3

Their writing style can be evocative of the sensationalist British papers but is often done tongue-in-cheek. And Apple doesn't like them.

Blog Entries
    See if you can get something through the college. When my daughter started northwestern law, if you bought a laptop through them, they warranted it for three years including on campus depot repairs. It really paid off when somebody spilled coffee on her computer. She took it in and they transferred the hard drive to a loaner unit on the spot. She was good to go in about an hour.

You might not not get the b3st gaming computer but reliability is a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post

Their writing style can be evocative of the sensationalist British papers but is often done tongue-in-cheek.
    It's a ridiculous writing style that ruins all semblance of credibility.

Also I wasn't saying that there weren't a few issues with the new KB, for some users. I was commenting on the article and the over-blown feel it gave.