Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scythe/Sickle head

Pictures, and measurements taken, but it will be tonight before I have enough time to download, and resize. I was wrong about the bend. It's more to keep your hands level with the head down in working position, but does help keep them close to your body.

Mine has "made in Austria" stamped into the metal. Looks like they're serious about scythes there:
    https://www.schroeckenfux.at/scythes/scythes-models/
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-21-2018 at 1:32 PM.

The forums auto downsized them to a size I'm not sure you'll be able to read the tape. If you need full sized pictures, email me at historichousepreservation@gmail.com and I can send you the full versions. I have more pictures, but let's see if these are big enough to be any good.

The snath cross section is rectangular at 1-1/4" x 1-1/2". It's not a wood I recognize, but some sort of open pored Oak/Ash.

This came from an auction of contents of a Virginia general store that the doors were closed on in 1935, with the inventory in it. Bidding opened at $15, and no one raised my opening bid. It's stamped "made in Austria", but since the stamp is in English, it must have been for the market here. The Scythe blade is 31" from the inside of the snath to the tip. It works like a charm. It is obviously not a first try design, but has been developed to perfection over a long time. It had never been used, until I used it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-21-2018 at 6:21 PM.

Thanks Tom, that is quite helpful. At 6'3" I think my handle may need to be longer. I'll rough out some cardboard and hold it first to get a feel for my reach.

Doug, I don't foresee myself laboring intensively with a scythe; though, I have miles of fence that could use a good thinning. Its more of the challenge and just making it while hopefully learning a bit along the way.
    -Lud

I'm 5'7", and this one is about perfect for me. My wrist to floor measurement is 32", and play golf clubs 1/2" shorter than standard. Your snath will need an even larger curve.

We also have a few miles of fencing, and I have one guy that is almost full time running a Stihl FS110, but not just along the fence. I think one would have to be really good with a scythe not to hit a fence post.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-22-2018 at 8:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    The one I have has curves in two directions and has adjustable nibs (hand grips) for height and angle adjustment. The combination of curves and nib angles help you swing the blade close to and level with the ground. Here is a really good video for adjusting and using an American Scythe. I'm laid up right now so I can't get photos since it is in the garage.

I wouldn't advise using hickory as it is quite heavy. I recall that my grand father said the snath was shaped green and hand finished.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute