Thread: Floor Hatch Gas Struts/Spring Information And Source Needed

Smile Floor Hatch Gas Struts/Spring Information And Source Needed

Hi

I am about to build and install a floor hatch, 2-6 wide and 7-3 long and estimate weight will be 110 lbs.

I'd planning on using gas struts like on a van rear hatch.

I've done some online searching but have not been able to find a supplier that is focused on non automotive use and more importantly provides information on length required, mounting options and considerations, strength etc.

Hope someone on the site has been down this road before and has some good suggestions for sourcing and information.

Thanks

Hardware for folding/Murphy beds would be ideal. Lee Valley sell a few kinds.

Blog Entries
    Try McMaster-Carr. The sell a variety of gas springs
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I needed to price gas struts for a project & just Googled it. Can't remember names, but there were a couple of good online stores that had probably thousands of struts of all lengths & load ratings. One site even makes custom struts for what ever you want.

Check marine applications. I've seen heavy duty struts on hatches and lockers on big boats- a bit larger than my canoe.

They make struts that can have the pressure bleed off after install to reduce the pressure down to what you want. I think some can also be upped but they run about 200PSi so I do not know what or how the pressure is added.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Check marine applications...
    I have purchased several different sizes at West Marine.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."