Thread: Treasures box for new Great Grandson

Treasures box for new Great Grandson

All handwork cherry and walnut with a Japanese tool box style top. Dovetails are my experimenting with hand and eye dovetails. Mark the baselines layout with saw and eye cut pins first. A bit more practice and I'll have it down.
    Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks cool, James. How does the lid work ? Can you pick it up with the handles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    It looks cool, James. How does the lid work ? Can you pick it up with the handles ?
    Thank you Yonak. The lid works like Japanese toolboxes. The inner lid drops in and slides under the two end pieces. The smaller piece with the handle is a sliding dovetail tapers both in length and height. Once in place you can pick it up by the handles.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Nice looking box, I'm glad you said it was cherry, because in the photos it looks like soft maple. Is there any concern with the handles mounted across the grain with seasonal wood movement?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nice looking box, I'm glad you said it was cherry, because in the photos it looks like soft maple. Is there any concern with the handles mounted across the grain with seasonal wood movement?
    Thank you Lee. I slotted the handle screws. I'm more concerned that the sliding dovetail will get too tight and it will never open again.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    I'm more concerned that the sliding dovetail will get too tight and it will never open again.
    Jim
    I would recommend sanding a bit of material off the sliding dovetail and applying a coat or two of finish, then check the fit. Apply some paraffin from an old candle to the sides of the dovetail to help it slide.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

What a delightful gift! I like it!
    And you are so fortunate to see your great grandchild. That's a gift in and of itself.
    Now next, you need to build a rocking chair for him, like Lowell did.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    What a delightful gift! I like it!
    And you are so fortunate to see your great grandchild. That's a gift in and of itself.
    Now next, you need to build a rocking chair for him, like Lowell did.

Fred
    Thank you Fred. That rocking chair thing may be a bit much. Between the wife and myself we have 24 grandchildren at last count. We have two greats now and most of the grands are 16 or above so I don't think at my age I'll have enough time to make rocking chairs.
    Jim