Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you suggest simple stress releaving projects?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Hey guys,

I had an episode of a lot of stress recently, but am now doing better.

This all let me think a lot about stress reduction and keeping things simple.
    Do you guys have some things you recommend for stress reduction?

I'd love it if you had a list of projects.

-Matt

ps. On my list, so far I have spoons. It's pretty relaxing.
    Matt, consider a trip to Perth

Tidy the workshop. Tune up and sharpen all your tools. Make a few jigs ....

.... nothing demanding here, but it is goal-directed and allows you to futze around in the calm. A little quiet jazz in the background can only be better.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I find quick projects that have a defined "Start, Work, Done" cycle are very satisfying.... And big complex projects can be very unsatisfying because of the same effect... But in my case - break it into small "I did this thing" tends to be very good as well...

What you mentioned is one of the reasons I build guitars... It helps give me some satisfaction of getting things done....

Blog Entries
    Making shavings, thin float away mesmerizing shavings. Sharpen the blade in your best plane and see how thin you can get a shaving.

I need to replace the heater core in my wife's car
    People use their car heaters in Los Angeles?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Woodworking itself is a stressful activity unless you don't care about the outcome. When you don't care, nothing is stressful.

So if you are really looking for a wood project to relieve stress, it should be one that is almost foolproof.

Try a thumb hole bookmark (Google to see the various designs). Drill, saw and plane (or chisel ), and you have some good gifts made from scraps and by hand to give away.

When you are tired from the activity, turn on the music, read a book, and put one of your freshly handmade book page holders into service.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-20-2018 at 11:46 AM.

I like John's whitling sugestion. Look up "tramp art" ,carve a wooden chain (sure someone will post a LINK) ,trade it for food.

I've found my Bridge City Tools Chopstick Master great for this sort of thing --- if nothing else, I'll pick up a suitable piece of scrap and work it down to make into a suitable set of blanks for making a pair and then set it aside.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    I've found my Bridge City Tools Chopstick Master great for this sort of thing ---.
    May be not for Matt, but spending $200(?) on that gadget would sure add stress to me (and my wallet)!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I like John's whitling sugestion. Look up "tramp art" ,carve a wooden chain (sure someone will post a LINK) ,trade it for food.
    John Lucas sent me a link to a video once about carving these little "pliers" from a single piece of wood, thought it might be right up my alley. It sure was! - I made one right away. I find it very relaxing to do small things like this where if I did mess up, no problem!

wood_pliers.jpg

Someone mentioned woodturning - that's another thing that is totally relaxing (once you learn the basics). Grab a piece of wood, spin it and make some shavings, make something or not, no stress. If I make something then give it away it puts the stress of life even more into perspective. These are my favorite two stress relievers:

tops_comp2c.jpg

wands_bowl_P7203947cs.jpg

Now I'm way too relaxed just thinking about it, someone quick, send me some stress.

JKJ

A few years ago after a heartattack I was told to take it very easy for a week letting things heal. Had a couple of stints. Bored I sat down at my bench and sharpened every chisel and plane in the shop. That was last time every tool in my shop was sharp.
    To do relaxing work I like to do boxes.
    4DDBAC0A-0648-41D9-B2C8-D08FC2D4A797.jpg

And more boxes

12. spoon carving is pretty right on. green wood (tree prunings). a stump or chopping block, a hatchet, a spokeshave and a carving gouge. keep it simple, have fun.

Matt, we need to find you a wife.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Come work for me for a week. You'll be too tired to have any stress.
    I was going to say go dig a ditch, because after doing that ll you will want to do is sleep.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

When looking for something especially relaxing, I make cheese boards out of my scrap pile. Find a bunch of off cuts, hand plane a straight edge and glue ‘em up however they may fit. Often glue up one piece at a time...no stress. Cut it square when the glue is dry. Sand and slather with mineral oil. The outcome really doesn’t matter. It’s all scrap...destined for the fire pit, or a cheesboard...either way, doesn’t matter.

83D61AB9-805B-42C9-A8E6-1883509230AD.jpg