Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can you suggest simple stress releaving projects?

You guys are great guys. I'm certain your wives are equally swell.

As for life, I've come to the realization:
    1. Better nutrition has helped-- I've made a pretty simple commitment to eating clean. As many veggies as I like, a set portion of protein, a limited portion of carbs....surprisingly, I feel like I'm running off rocket fuel.

2. Not stressing out about life helps-- Mom let me know that I'm being an idiot. I have a thriving business, and I have plenty of assets saved up.

3. My existing stuff is pretty great, I just need to modify it a bit.-- I'm in the process of modifying my Blum bench pony, and it's pretty phenominal how capable that plywood box is. It's more stable than a Sjoberg, and very compact. I've put wheels on it, and planning to put some sorta till (for holding saws/chisels/hammers).

4. Finally getting a vacation-- The last three years, I've been lucky to get two days off in a row. This weekend, I get *four*!

5. Maybe I'll go get a date?

In the background, I've been consulting with Stan about life, family, balance and stuff.
    He's a great guy with lots of very grounded advice.

While I have a great dad...mine doesn't give good advice.

Blog Entries
    Stress is part of the fun.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Dovetail some pine into some white oak. Easy peasy, and as stress free as it will ever get.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Stress is part of the fun.
    Yikes, I've never found stress to be the least fun. It might help me stay focused and get in the "zone" to meet a tight deadline but otherwise, it's just..., ah, stressful.

JKJ

One of my best ever "Stress relievers" is to burn wayward projects that just are not going right. Yes - literally in a fire.... Last year I burned a guitar that was like a dead albatross hanging around my neck... Every time I fixed 1 thing - 2 more would pop up... It followed me around for 6 years as I slowly plunked around on it....

I built 3 other guitars in the mean time of that one - because it was always something else.... The last straw was when the 2nd replacement back went all lumpy on me due to seasonal humidity changes...

Best feeling in the world to burn it....

Another good one is to sell off the useful remnants of old projects/hobbies... Or even donate them to a club for sale such as for the upkeep of an enthusiast website...

Get a labrador retriever. Take it everywhere you go. You will wind up playing catch at least 5-6 times a day.

Blog Entries
    I'm still on limited duty . . . I have caught up on a lot of picture frames and small gifts. On the other hand the boards from my last lumber haul before last Christmas are still setting on my bench; they exceed my lifting limit for a while yet.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    One of my best ever "Stress relievers" is to burn wayward projects that just are not going right. Yes - literally in a fire.... Last year I burned a guitar that was like a dead albatross hanging around my neck... Every time I fixed 1 thing - 2 more would pop up... It followed me around for 6 years as I slowly plunked around on it....

I built 3 other guitars in the mean time of that one - because it was always something else.... The last straw was when the 2nd replacement back went all lumpy on me due to seasonal humidity changes...

Best feeling in the world to burn it....

Another good one is to sell off the useful remnants of old projects/hobbies... Or even donate them to a club for sale such as for the upkeep of an enthusiast website...

Dude!

And here I was looking at one of my older guitars....I feel like I insulted the wood.

Blog Entries
    If you learn, then you have the wood all the respect you had to offer.

I actually have a plan to reuse that wood (the back and sides).

I have a plan for a small Torres guitar/requinto in the Spanish style.
    It's 608 mm scale, and would make a great children's guitar.