Thread: Rob Cosman On SawStop Confusion

Rob Cosman On SawStop Confusion

In his YouTube video early last year Rob Cosman talked about his SawStop cabinet saw and referred to it as the "Professional" model. Based partly on his glowing review I was about to purchase one but to be sure, yesterday I drove the 100 plus miles to the nearest dealer to look at the SawStop lineup and was very surprised at what was discovered. The saw in Cosman's review is actually the Industrial model, not the Professional and the difference between the two is more than just weight and price. In fact, the differences are quite profound in my opinion. The Industrial model is more than just a beefed up Professional despite the similarities provided by SawStop in their comparison of the two models.

The extra 200 lb. weight in the Professional is no doubt attributed to the larger/thicker top, extra/thicker(?) sheet metal and probably more so the extra mass in the running gear. The running gear is so much different between the two models that the motors are mounted on opposite sides of the cabinet. When first seeing this in pictures and videos I thought it was a left and right blade tilt thing. All SawStop's cabinet saws to the best of my knowledge are left tilt. The cabinet on the Industrial model is larger to accommodate the differences in the running gear. It also seems more robust and better made than the Professional model. The Professional model has a rather flimsy and cheap looking plastic motor cover IMHO.

The dust collecting shroud on the Professional model only goes part way around the blade compared to the Industrial model, which has an extra piece completing the surround that swings out of the way for blade changes. Because of this I find it hard to believe the claim by SawStop that both saws have the same dust collecting specs.

Any other differences that I didn't notice?

Blog Entries
    The 'industrial' version of something should be more robust than a model targeting a different market. Some machines are built to survive less than skilled operators performing a similar action hundreds of times a day. If you've ever been in the workings of a pro shop of almost any kind . . . kitchen and bath, injection molding, mobile homes, you have seen these machine operators. They are not using the machines the way you and I might and the business owners need something that can stand a little abuse.

That being said, the PCS is a very nice saw, the ICS is nicer in heft, bulk and strength. Consider the work you are going to expect from the machine and look at the other tools you have. If a Ridgid or a DeWalt drill motor has met your needs you probably don't need an Ingersoll or a Sioux air drill and compressor adequate to drive them. On the other hand we have hobbyists on here who run large sliding tablesaws not particularly common in the home shop.

In the end it comes down to your requirements, budget and preferences. I have a range of machines in a range of qualities. Each machine was selected for what I was going to do with it. In some cases that use changed and I upgraded or eliminated a machine. A shop full of top tier tools doesn't make stuff, you do. Although it is certainly enjoyable to use a well made machine while you do it
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Original sawstop was labeled professional cabinet saw and is whar the now labeled industrial cabinet saw is. My 5hp sawstop purchased in 2006 is this way.

While the builds (and prices) are different, I can tell you hobbyists won't see any differences in cut quality and performance between the two. Of course,if you cut thick stock (over 2") with a PCS on 110V constantly, you will struggle. A 220V - 480V, or 3HP/5HP (7HP!) is a much better choice.

They use the same dust collection blade guard and overarm dust collection as well as fence and mobile base (note: all these are upgraded features for the PCS).

I have used both ICS and PCS for years, and I own the PCS because my needs can be fully met by that. If you do woodworking for a living, get an ICS.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    They use the same dust collection blade guard and overarm dust collection as well as fence and mobile base (note: all these are upgraded features for the PCS)....
    Simon
    The shroud that I was referring to is below the table. On the PCS seen yesterday at the dealer there was a fairly large gap in the shroud that is closed off on the ICS by a swing out panel. It's hard to imagine that the large gap in the PCS shroud would produce the same dust collecting ability as the ICS.

I do love the deeper table and the spot of the blade on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    It's hard to imagine that the large gap in the PCS shroud would produce the same dust collecting ability as the ICS.
    That shroud has only minimal effect on the dust collection which in reality depends a lot more on the dust collector/dust collection set-up. In terms of dust collection, my PCS performs even better than the ICS I have access to which is hooked up to a central dust collection system with multiple ports for other machines, because I have a dedicated dust collection in my PCS for both the under the table and above the table dust collection. For the ICS I use at work, the run from the central system to the shop ports is at least 50 feet away.

Even with the shroud installed in the ICS, we can still see saw dust collected in the bottom of the cabinet, like the PCS. I have found however if you use an auto start switch with the PCS, the dust collector will keep on working while the saw is coasting down, and that will help in dust collection. By the way, the 90 degree T chute for the overarm dust collection is a bad design and don't use it. There are various user-produced alternatives out there.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-19-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I do love the deeper table and the spot of the blade on the table.
    Despite standing instructions at the workplace, many users do not restore the saw angle to 90 degrees after they make a bevel cut. I find it a nuisance because I am used to changing the blade height and angle at the front of my PCS. With the ICS, I have to go to the side of the saw, kneel down to change the angle and then go back to the front to adjust the blade height. How nice if there was a button to push and the default settings came back!

It would also be nice if a warning light or signal is there to alert a user if the blade is not reset to 90 degrees. Many pieces have been wasted because people assume the blade is set square as it is supposed to be. People don't read manuals nor do they follow shop instructions! Such problem of course does not exist in my own shop.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 05-19-2018 at 12:48 PM.

I believe Steve Gass said that the original SawStop ICS was built to compete with 12" machines. Like Elon Musk with the Tesla, he knew he had to introduce costly new technology to a less cost sensative buyer.

I bought my SS in 2005 when only one model was available and there was no retail outlet selling them. The motor cover is on the rt. side and I always assumed it was an ICS. I just ordered/installed an auxilliary dust shroud assembly (recommended by an SMC member) and when verifying the model # I discoverd it is labeled a PCS. The tech folks assured me it is an ICS and newer models, PCS, etc., have different specs. but same level build quality.

I was getting lots of dust in the cabinet and blowover on the table and the added dust shroud seems to help. It fits into the existing shroud and extends around the bottom half of the blade and a bit higher in front of the blade. Took 10 min. to install and cost~~$125 and so for it seems worth it. Next step is "remebering" to use the blade guard.

I too bought a Sawstop in 2005 when there was only one model. It was a Professional model. Later they named it Industrial. The ICS has much better adjustability too for blade heel. Something that with a regular 10" cabinet saw you can only average the error. The ICS lets you adjust the blade alignment to the miter slot at 90 degrees to the table and at 45 degrees. WIth a regular cabinet saw you shim the top of split the error.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Original sawstop was labeled professional cabinet saw and is whar the now labeled industrial cabinet saw is. My 5hp sawstop purchased in 2006 is this way.
    Ya gotta love the brain trust at the forum. Thanks Mike.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler