Thread: Type 16 Plane ID question

Type 16 Plane ID question

Got a question for you Stanley Bailey plane guys…. I am quite familiar with the earlier plane types up to Type 14. I am not as familiar with the later types. I occasionally see No 5 plane bottoms that are described as Type 16. These examples have:
    · Bailey cast in front of then knob
    · “Made in USA “ cast just behind the knob
    · The plane size is at the heel and the “No” and # are close together
    · There are broad flat ribs around the toe and heel
    · The knob receiving area is raised

According to most references I have found, the Type 16 is supposed to have:
    · Bailey cast in the toe behind the knob
    · “Made in USA is cast behind the frog
    · The plane size is at the toe and the “No” and # are spaced at 1”
    · The broad flat rib around the toe and heel are present
    · The knob receiving area is raised

What’s going on here?

Blog Entries
    I occasionally see No 5 plane bottoms that are described as Type 16.
    [edited]
    What’s going on here?
    The person describing the plane may be mistaken. It may also be due to Stanley having nothing to do with the type studies, so they didn't follow the type study's rules. Type 16 has a few distinctions. An ogee frog, a ring around the front knob and a raised rib at the heel and toe.

Type 16 covers ~8 years. There may have been some variations or changes in the castings.

Even my favorite type study has discrepancies here and there:

http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm

One of my planes doesn't fall into the type study without an asterisk. Another has a type 8 base, a type 7 frog and a replacement blade. Not a single wink of sleep has been lost over the anomalies of my planes compared to a type study.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

As far as I know, type studies are published for the #4 only. There are some variations on the #5 and other sizes such as those you point out.

Thanks Greg, would be nice to have a listing for the other sizes, maybe someday..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    Thanks Greg, would be nice to have a listing for the other sizes, maybe someday..
    The type studies were made with information garnered from receipts and the most common plane size. Planes that didn't sell as fast may have been a few years behind in using up all the parts Stanley had on hand before 'type' changes became apparent on store shelves.

It is common to find type 17 (war year models) #4 & #5 planes with the frog drilled for a frog adjuster plate but the hole on the base was never drilled. Type 11s are often seen with a tall knob. Early type 9s have a different frog and base than later type 9s and many early type 9 planes have a lateral lever with a patent date. The ways of production changed with no regard for the collectors to come a century later.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

So true!!